Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
73 cb 350 and turn signal is slow
I plan to replace flasher unit and appears that ones listed are 12 volt / 10 watt

the replacement ones are little rectangular silver and bo runner mount

I can find EMGO for kawi or Suzuki that is little black one with rubber and it appears will slip right on stock bracket nice and clean

but they are 12 volt 23 watt

my question==what is the difference

I assume its ok to GO ups on the watt spec, but not down

will the 23 watt flash too slow or anything

·
Registered
971 Posts
The wattage rating means different things dependent upon what type of flasher you're working with.

If you're looking at a traditional thermo-mechanical flasher, the wattage will determine how quickly the flasher blinks (if at all). Lower rating will blink faster and/or be able to work with turn signals that draw less power. Higher rating will do the opposite. High wattage relays with low current bulbs (such as LEDs) will often not blink at all.

For electronic (aka "no load") relays, the wattage rating is a safe maximum. Many times, the power running through the relay is determined by the bulbs you've chosen and not by the relay itself. This means the relay will pass as much power as is needed by the bulbs, whether or not the relay can actually handle the load. Exceeding the wattage rating may cook the relay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts