Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic will detail my attempts to fabricate a turbo-charged Honda 175 bike capable of breaking the existing 70.33 MPH record currently held by member "5points" riding "Salt Flats Sally"....
In it, I will detail the "How" of the changes I propose to his basic design and the "Why" I'm making those particular changes.....
I will need the membership to help me locate and obtain some of the necessary parts for this project......

Need #1.... the turbo assembly..... There is one on the way as we speak....(pictures and details when it arrives)

Need #2.... A single carb fed CA/CD 175 VERTICAL type cylinder head......Anyone have a spare?

I'll edit in more on this later.......;)

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
This will be fun to watch; nothing like old fashion racing; records are meant to be broken and the salt can be unforgiving :)
Me likes that head idea fer sure !

Subscribed !

·
Registered
387 Posts
please please .. stop by and pick me up on your way out there??? i work for free these days lol

following VERY CLOSELY:idea:

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
You've got everyone's juices flowing now, Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Very Cool!!
Who is driving?

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Hi Steve, very interested in your project. I'll assume there's no rules or limitations :D Along with the turbo; have you given any thought on finding a double overhead camshaft head that would work? (thinking more flow/more HP).

Very cool, I'll be following along. Be glad to help; don't hesitate to send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've got a vert cd175 parts bike missing carb pretty rough but I think the heads good and it has a title. I was thinking someday combining parts from this and a parts cb160 I got blah blah blah I might be willing to make a trade.

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Simon, et al....
The following are some of the various, rambling thoughts and ideas I have about this project:

My initial thoughts are to roughly approximate the set-up that was used on the Yamaha XJ 650 turbo (as I had one and am somewhat familiar with it)
This would place the turbo behind and slightly underneath the engine and allow for the original header length to be maintained (before/to the Y-pipe), and place the turbo such that lag time would hopefully be diminished.....
A single carb blow through design would allow me to place a combination "old-school cool can"/plenum (filled with DRY ICE and a smidge of water) on the upward passage tube (which conveniently can be installed within the "hollow" of the 175 frame's centerpost) and still keep that length to a minimum (again, a lag time reduction)and it provides a suitable place for a "pop-off" valve to limit maximum boost pressure.....BUT, for this, I need to locate/obtain a CA/CD head.....
Note that the fuel supply line ALSO goes through the cool can to increase the fuel's liquid density....
I'm also thinking of employing a sloper crankcase as they were appreciably stronger being manufactured to be a stressed element on their original frames.....

Battery, oil tank and pump for the turbo, and charging system electrics will be mounted in an aerodynamic "belly-pan" the forward part of which will be shaped to "scoop" additional cooling air towards the forward sloped cylinders........

Front fairing will be mounted at a steeper angle (than the one on "Sally") so as to fair the slipstream over the riders head (instead of into his helmet and shoulders) and the seat will be further back to give a better "rider's crouch" positioning...Rear sets of course.....(These two changes alone I believe would have added at least 5 to 7 MPH to "Sally's" record)......

The headlight port of the fairing MIGHT provide a suitable mounting point for an oil cooler IF the air that passes through can then be directed at the cylinders for additional cooling flow there......

Please, IF anyone sees any glaring inaccuracy in my ideas, add a comment with the specifics as to what the error/errors in my thought is......

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a vert cd175 parts bike missing carb pretty rough but I think the heads good and it has a title. I was thinking someday combining parts from this and a parts cb160 I got blah blah blah I might be willing to make a trade.
Lefty....Please phone me or PM me your phone number......Mine is 540-525-5199......Steve

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Here's a thought for your fairing, Steve....lol

world speed record.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Steve,

I'm not sure its a good idea to mix "dry ice" and water... they may not like each other (explosive). Too much dry ice could freeze the water into a block of ice (and crack your lines/fins), and, as the lines/fins heat up from compression, create an air space between the them and block of ice rendering the inter cooler useless. IMHO regular ice would suffice with water, keeping the fins etc covered with cold water.

You might consider pre-cooling the intake air to the turbo by routing it into and out of the ice box, then to the inlet side of the turbo (this may be overkill). Keep the box well insulated.

Turbo Oil cooler - I will think on this a bit as my initial concerns are routing (oil flow direction) and engine shut down oil drainage. Don't want oil stagnating within the hot turbine housing side. This could coke up the bearing and fail it.

Other considerations - insight;
http://saltflats.com/traction.html

Cheers

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'd loose 25 pounds if he'd let me ...heck i'd loose that much AND pay to be on the pit crew
Everyone knows I lose way too much weight in the Winter time <HINT HINT>...

A single carb blow through design would allow me to place a combination "old-school cool can"/plenum (filled with DRY ICE and a smidge of water)
Water has good heat transfer properties. But CO2 sublimates/boils (no liquid stage under 1 ATM) at -108.4°F. Might a different liquid be better, even assuming a less efficient heat transfer? Acetone freezes at below the temperature that CO2 sublimates. Here is a chart of some common substances' freezing/melting points:
Code:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/freezing-points-liquids-d_1261.html
It lists in kelvin, but all you have to do is add 273.15 to convert to Celsius (and then convert to Fahrenheit, if you wish). Would the ability to make sort of a "slurry" be better?

Blow-through carburetor... You're boxing it in, I assume? I could see where, in theory, a draw-through setup might provide some benefit. But you are making the right decision, IMO. Unless you want to go FI, and that would be both more complicated and more expensive. Hmm... You might manage enough electrical power to run everything over a short course, though...

Front fairing will be mounted at a steeper angle (than the one on "Sally") so as to fair the slipstream over the riders head (instead of into his helmet and shoulders) and the seat will be further back to give a better "rider's crouch" positioning...Rear sets of course.....(These two changes alone I believe would have added at least 5 to 7 MPH to "Sally's" record)...
I have been told that the aerodynamic characteristics of the average motorcycle suck compared to even the average reasonably fuel-efficient modern automobile... so that gives you lots of room for improvement, lol. You could do like that guy did that raced the... RC148???... who had a mock-up built so he could "sit" on it in his living room and watch television, to get used to laying so far down that he had to bend his neck backwards at an extreme angle, lol.

This will be COOL (even, as I do, assuming that you won't be using an intercooler...). I'll attempt to keep (most of) my comments to myself for this one ;) so as not to pollute your thread.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 316 Posts