Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm restoring a CB 125 K5 and done all the electrics past couple of weeks. Now I'm trying to start it but run into a couple problems.
Firstly, when I turn the contact my starter engine keeps turning even though Im not pressing the starter button.
So I unhook the cable on the starter engine for now. I keep kicking, doesn't start. So I try the starter engine and hold the cable to the terminal on the starter engine, it turns and the carburator spits out fuel through the air intake hole. Does this mean the carburetor gets too much fuel? (It's only the carburetor for the left cylinder btw)
I have no real knowledge of this so help would be appreciated, really want to start this thing. The bike hasn't run for 10+ years too.
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just ran off a hill with it, engine turned a lot and got some black and grey smoke out the exhaust, but still no start..

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's a very helpful thread.
So the spitting of fuel is due to the float that doesn't work correctly? Could that be why it doesn't start?
I'm ordering a rebuilding kit for the carbs, but that doesn't include the float. I inspected the float itself a couple weeks ago and it seemed fine, no holes or whatsoever. Could it be the spring then that is connected to the float?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Regarding carbs inspection:
First of all, count no of turns for air screws and idle speed screws. This will give You startup information about carbs setting.
After dismantling, check needle notch position.

Check petcock filter. If You have a lot of contamination, clean Your fuel tank. It is possible, that some particles has blocked float valves so fuel is dripping.

You have to make visual inspection for float valve. Check float cone side and spring operation. Blow carb nozzles, idle and choke channels. There can be holes in floats (I think You have original brass floats), check them in water. Check and adjust float level (21mm) for both carbs if required. Air screw service/regulation startup position is 1 1/8+/- 1/8 turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts