Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum so please forgive me as I'm still learning the ropes. I was hoping someone could lend me some advice in trying to get my bike started. When I press the ignition button my solenoid clicks, but the engine does not roll over. I tried replacing the starter motor, as the old one did not work on or off the bike, and I can feel the starter moving slightly now, but I can't figure out what's up with it, as it's still just a solenoid click with no ignition. I was thinking my next move would be to replace the solenoid, but honestly I'm pretty inexperienced as this is my first project. Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Can you turn the engine over manually (wrench/socket on alternator rotor bolt at end of crankshaft)? BUT, LEAVE KEY TURNED OFF......

Will be easier if you temporarily remove spark-plugs......

·
Registered
500 Posts
If it doesn't turn over easily with spark plugs off, it is. Do you have a kick start? If yes, plugs off, then press the kick start with your hand (not your foot, if it is seized, you don't want to damage anything), should turn over. If not, put oil then wait and try again later. Then you have to check your compression after to see if the piston rings are fine.

If no kick start, have to do what 66Sprint said on a previous post.

Mine was a bit and tried 2 days later and just my weight was enough to free it.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it doesn't turn over easily with spark plugs off, it is. Do you have a kick start? If yes, plugs off, then press the kick start with your hand (not your foot, if it is seized, you don't want to damage anything), should turn over. If not, put oil then wait and try again later. Then you have to check your compression after to see if the piston rings are fine.

If no kick start, have to do what 66Sprint said on a previous post.

Mine was a bit and tried 2 days later and just my weight was enough to free it.

Good luck and keep us posted
h
Thanks for the advice! I've only got an electric start so I'll try and do what 66sprint said. I also got a new solenoid in the mail today so I figure I might as well replace the old one now and see what happens. I'll let you know if it works!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, Hopefully you may have it turning over by now? However, there are a couple of things to check before running off buying new parts! Try disconnecting and cleaning the negative battery terminal and then replacing. Then trying to turn it over! Is your battery fully charged? Is your battery dropping when you try turning it over, Try turning on your headlamp then turning it over, if the head lamp dies then then its a bad earth or your battery is knackered. Take the battery and get it tested. As Polish said take out the plugs and do all the above with them out. If (hopefully not) it is seized an easy check with the plugs out is to put it on the centre stand, engage 4th gear and turn the rear wheel, it should turn over if not then it is seized!Busby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts