Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed new coils, condensers, points, and did a full tune (cam chain, valve clearance, point gap, spark plug gap(+new plugs))

Bike was sitting for a week and after starting it up it now only runs on one cylinder. Lets just say the engine timing is correct and all the new parts were installed correctly with everything done to spec. What then could be the reason for the left cylinder to just stop running. The spark plug is wet so i know theres fuel, just no spark. Fishing for advice because I'm reaching a wall here and don't want to dig into more things (example: me changing the coils thinking that would solve the issue).

Looking forward to hearing from you guys and gals out there on planet honda! thanks!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I always start with a fresh, dry spark plug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced old coils and the problem was the same with the new ones (right cylinder fires, left doesn't)

·
Registered
204 Posts
if the bike runs on one cylinder then swap the condenser wires over . In my case I fitted a new condenser . (I have a CB450 ,two condensers in the one unit that share an earth ) and only one condenser worked. A bit weird that it worked initially. If you still have the old condensers maybe try those.. I found my problem by running the bike in the dark with the points cover off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried old condenser and still nothing. Theres a hot spark coming from the right plug, but the left still is cold. I tried new plugs, there is a brand new condenser and both coils. Should I focus on wiring or functionality of the parts?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Unplug the points lead off the coil and touch it to ground, with the key switch on, it should make a spark at the plug. If it sparks check out the wiring to the points and the points themselves. Set your multimeter to ohms and connect it to the points side of that wire connection, other side to ground. It should read infinite resistance with the points open and read continuity to ground with the points closed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no spark at the plug with the points lead. Im getting spark at the points, so why wouldn't a spark be generated at the plug?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, if you completely isolated no spark to the left side, like you say, then the problem is obviously no energy getting to that left side.

I replied to your other thread, and you never followed up.

You are throwing money at a problem.

And you are spelling out your own answers.

What is the issue??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey beardo, as far as the the previous thread I had, there was no spark in the left plug and once I found that out got onto another train of thought and got coils since they were originals. At the point of installation and testing was when I realized, yeah, I am just throwing money at it now. Ill be taking a step back and approaching it from a different angle. I'm getting current in the proper places and just need to carefully look at the wiring to make sure all the grounds are hooked up and connections tight I guess

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what I like to hear!

I'm really not trying to bust your balls, but I really hate to see people throw themselves down a rabbit hole for no good reason.

None of us were born knowing it all. The knowledge accumulates over time. Glad to see you taking a more reasoned approach now.

I don't talk to myself for no good reason...haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear that beardo! So I took the points cover off and tried the spark test on that left cylinder, guess what doode?! The connection going from the points to the coil was touching the cover plate and shorting out. Definitely slowing it down from now on and looking at it from the simplest troubleshoot. Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, that'll do it!

Electricity is lazy, always taking the path of least resistance.

Damn electricity!!! Haha

Seriously, I'm glad to read about a problem being solved!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts