Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the wheel bearings in the front wheel of my '76 CB500T, but the center spacer is giving me problems when I'm trying to put the second bearing in. I got the speedo side in and seated and I got the center spacer put back inside the hub, but how do I keep it in place while I'm driving in the other bearing? It doesn't look like the fangs on either end of the spacer are actually supposed to grab anything in the bearing, or are they?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Trick is to install the other bearing only far enough to just contact the spacer so you can adjust it a bit if you have to. Heat hub and chill bearing to make it easier.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Slip the axle inside the spacer and both bearings and tap the second bearing in place. Everything will lined up and the spacer will be held in place after the second bearing is installed.

Reactions: HamHock

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to close this out (I hate when I come across a post about an exact problem I'm having and then the OP either doesn't reply, or, even worse, just says "I found the solution!"), I did end up slipping the axle through the spacer and bearing from the other side and driving it in that way. The only tricky bit is that I was using a solid bearing driver as opposed to a hollow socket or similar, so it was a little finicky and took another pair of hands to keep everything lined up.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It doesn't look like the fangs on either end of the spacer are actually supposed to grab anything in the bearing, or are they?

????

The ends of the spacer are flat and butt up against the bearing inner race inner surface, to "set" the bearings apart, along with the hub.

I hope you have lightly drifted the bearings into the hub via the outer race wall and not the inner race.

Chilling the bearing also helps.

The "fangs" you talk of look as if they may sit in the cage area, they look too small an outer diameter to sit in the outer race area, check diameters and see if they project beyond the cage area and will sit on the outer race wall, free of the "moving parts" ( cage and balls ) of the bearing.

I would not have thought that the fangs are in any way involved with the cage, if they are then thats another honda novel design feature.

Those fangs are to keep the spacer relatively in line, hole wise.

You know of cmsnl for the exploded views

1 - 5 of 5 Posts