Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my 450 CL on a planned 10 hour ride in a couple of days. This bike has not been out of town in years. I asked in this forum how the bike would handle August heat (Answer: Better than me. I'll fry!). Replacing the tire tubes today (They're like 20 years old.). Bought extra fuses. Changed oil. Bought new cushy grips for less vibration (even vibration free underwear!). New facemask. Numerous test trips. Measured gas mileage (50 mpg when it used to be 65 mpg). Also noticed that when I start the bike it runs on one cylinder for maybe 5-8 seconds and then the other kicks in and runs okay. Will check the spark color tonight (coils are new but I've twice left the key on. However these coils are not the old wax filled ones). Questions:

1) If I see a white spark, cancel the trip I've been planning, or take it and fix the problem when I get back?
2) What else should I check/service?

·
Registered
703 Posts
What else should I check/service?

Always a bit of an adventure heading off on an old bike - I love it!

Personally - I'd try to pack: a mini tool-kit with an adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, vice-grips, duct-tape and cable-ties, spare bulbs, wet-gear, tyre-sealant and a tyre-plug kit, phone, GPS, an AA (or US equivalent) road-side rescue/get-you-home package, and enough cash/cards to tide you over for a couple of days if things don't work out. But they will - one way or another :)

Have a ball, and post some details and pics when you get back.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Don't over-analyze. Something might go wrong, just like it might go wrong any other day. If it does it will just be the beginning of a new adventure. One thing does concern me, if your tubes are 20 years old how old are your tires?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.