Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I must be overlooking some obvious step in the removal of the head steady bolt on my 1972 CB350K4 (92000-080-850A [92101-080-850a] "Bolt, Hex 8x85") which passes through the engine hanger plates (50354-286-000B and 50355-286-000B "Plate, Eng. hanger") and bushings (50356-286-300 "bush hanger") on either side of the cylinder head cover (12300-286-000). I can drive the bold with a drift or dowel, but if it takes that to remove it, I don't think I'll ever get it back in. Am I supposed to be lifting the weight of the engine from below with a jack or something to make this easier and avoid tearing things up? If that is the answer how and where should the lifting force be applied so not to damage the case?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
It's possible that the bolt is stuck because of corrosion, so I would soak it down with penetrating oil of your choice, but it will be easier to remove, if you loosen but not remove all the engine mount bolts. There's two in the front and two in the rear. You can take some of the weight off the bolts by supporting the engine with a block of wood under the drain plug. Let us know how it works out.

.......Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul,

Thanks. It wasn't frozen or corroded, just bearing the weight of the engine, even with a jack and block of wood under the engine. I could not figure out how to get the nut off the rear engine mount bolt without removing the left crank case cover (11351-286-060) without a shorter and thinner wrench to slip in there (which now that I think of it was probably in my tool kit on the bike, if I'd been thinking to look outside my tool box...), and removing that left crank case cover would have meant disconnecting the clutch cable, so I just released the two front engine mount bolts, and loosened the two bolts that attach the engine hanger plates to the frame, to get some play there, and got the head steady bolt out, torqued the head, and got it back together, reversing the process, and it looks like my oil leak that was wetting my cylinder fins is pretty much gone. I guess now I'm on to adjusting the cam chain tension and adjusting the valves. I appreciate the helpful suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
the top 3 motor mount bolts are the first ones I install when installing a motor (because they won't line up easily if you install later) and the first I remove when removing a motor (remove them with no engine weight on them.)

there's also a sequence to installing them.

top rear (mounting plate to frame)
mounting plate to engine
top front (mounting plate to frame)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts