Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride on Honda CM400c Year 1981 Genuine.
When riding at a speed of 105-110 km / h with friends, the RPM is more than 6500.
If someone changed the rear sprocket to 34 teeth instead of 35, did you reach that speed at less than 6000 rpm? or if you change the front sprocket to 17 teeth ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
"I would appreciate answers from people with real experience"
I don't know if I qualify, after all I've only ridden the road bike for @100,000 miles including 2 tours of the lower 48 US states and multiple trips into Baja but I'll give it a shot.
First thing is be aware that you're speedo and tachometer are inaccurate. Speedo reads a bit fast usually and the tach will read low until @5K then it reads fast.
When I suggested Gearing Commander I was giving you a tool to work with.
My first tour started with a 17/34 combination and a 130/90 rear tire. It worked ok but was slow on accel and it was borderline for keeping the engine in the power band. 3/4 thru the trip I went to 17/35 and it improved. I was also running fully loaded at close to the 800# GVW rating for the bike. This was in 2011 so I don't remeber what tach/speedo reading were.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Both my speedo and my tach 'quiver' at those speeds. They hold a pretty solid 100kph/5400rpm reading though. 17/35, 120/90/16 rear tire. It's happiest around 120kph, but tach is around 6500rpm. As Jim said, it's difficult to be exact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the answers.
I'll try to measure the speed against GPS.
By the way, the picture of the motorcycle is in the lowest place in the world, the Dead Sea in Israel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts