Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's a general type question:

I'm working on a Honda CL100 motor overhaul and I want to remove the transmission bearings. The one on the left is easy enough because I can tap it out from the outside.

How do I remove the bearing on the right? It's fit into a blind hole. How do you pry it out of there? A special tool? It's pretty small, say, about 1/2" ID.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Even if you can tap the bearing on the left, if you want to reuse the bearing, I wouldn't be tapping on them as they can be "dinged" and roll smoothly.

Jay is correct about the blind bearing puller tool. Before you do that I've had success using a torch to heat the case area around the bearing. It will expand enough that the bearing might just fall out if you tap the case from the opposite side with a rubber mallet.

The same goes when installing the bearings, heat the cases and freeze the bearings and they'll drop right in.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Blow torch can do magical things.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Dirtbag said:
Blow torch can do magical things.
An oven is even better as it will heat the whole case evenly. Mate use your oven 100 C and have the case sitting with the bearing facing down. with any luck the bearing will just fall out if not when the case is hot gently tap the case on a wooden bench and the bearing should fall out :D

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I prefer a heat gun as you can get the cases up to 1500 degrees if ever needed :shock: (not that you would but that is what my heat gun is capable of) and point or direct the heat exactly where you want it. Putting the entire part in an oven will also heat the bearing.. I second the thought of owning a blind hole bearing puller.. It's one of the best tools I've ever invested in. Removes wheel bearings with ease, crankcase bearings, pilot bearings in automotive applications, etc..

I bought my el cheapo one here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=95987

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts