Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a Complete rebuild on my 1966 CA95 including crankshaft and pistons, I reassembled the bike and it fired right up. I took it out on a ride and everything was fine until I shifted from 3rd to 4th gear. As I shifted, it felt like it had shifted into neutral and the motor freewheeled. I shifted back down into 3rd and it reengaged normally but it would never shift into 4th. I shifted it back into 3rd and drove home. After about a mile or so while driving in 3rd, the bike locked up and I skidded off the road. After I shifted the transmission back into neutral, the bike fired up and I selected 1st and everything seemed normal. Again, I couldn’t select 4th just as before. I limped back home in 3rd but it locked up again. Again I shifted back to neutral and it started again. This time I limped back home in 2nd and made it home ok. Everything seemed normal in the transmission during the rebuild and it always shifted normally before the rebuild. I’m going to tear it down in the next week. Any idea on what might cause this? Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a Complete rebuild on my 1966 CA95 including crankshaft and pistons, I reassembled the bike and it fired right up. I took it out on a ride and everything was fine until I shifted from 3rd to 4th gear. As I shifted, it felt like it had shifted into neutral and the motor freewheeled. I shifted back down into 3rd and it reengaged normally but it would never shift into 4th. I shifted it back into 3rd and drove home. After about a mile or so while driving in 3rd, the bike locked up and I skidded off the road. After I shifted the transmission back into neutral, the bike fired up and I selected 1st and everything seemed normal. Again, I couldn’t select 4th just as before. I limped back home in 3rd but it locked up again. Again I shifted back to neutral and it started again. This time I limped back home in 2nd and made it home ok. Everything seemed normal in the transmission during the rebuild and it always shifted normally before the rebuild. I’m going to tear it down in the next week. Any idea on what might cause this? Thanks.
I’ve ordered two new shift forks online and I’ll replace those when I open it up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Your transmission is going into two gears at once. Doubt it's shift forks as you said it shifted ok before tear down. Likely culprit is missing or misplaced thrust washers or circlip left out or out of groove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts