Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put touring tires on my 1982 CM450 Custom. I commute 50 miles per day in city traffic and just want the hard rubber and the mileage. The only tires I can find that are exactly the right size are Kendras (soft rubber) which are not touring tires, and other similar cheap brands ... or knobbies which is not what i want.

The OEM sizes are 3.50-18 (front) and 4.60-16 (rear). That seems to correspond to 100/90-18 and 120/90-16.

I found Metzler Marathon 880 tires in sizes: 100/90-18 and 130/90-16.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know of hard tires that will fit this bike?
2. The Metzler 130 tire mentioned above is sold as a "front". Can it be used as a rear?
3. What modifications are needed to mount a 130/90 on the rear? I can see that the chainguard would have to be notched out ... is that a reasonable idea? What other mods would be needed? Is this worth the effort?
4. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'm running Michelin Commanders on the road bike but I also have a 19" front wheel. They don't have a 100/90/18 front
Running a 130 rear is fine. The only mod is to move the rear brake stay outboard of it mounting bracket. Chain guard will still have clearance, @1/4".
If the tire is a sold as a front or rear that means the construction of the tire is specific to that position, IE; front is front only.
The 18" wheel can be easily replaced with one from a CB450SC Nighthawk, they ran a 19" front, and is a direct swap as long as you stick with the same style wheel. Later models had the cast wheels and may not line up right

1 - 2 of 2 Posts