Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to build the best 450 dohc racer I can without paying for the high dollar parts I've decided the old worn torsion bars could probably be used with the right cam suited to the engines spec. I always kept the bars and holders together, well,..... Just because. It appears this was a good idea because they are indeed matched, and by selective assembly you could preload them to suit your needs. This would most likely take a lot of parts(spanning different years)?, and a lot of time. And in the end one missed shift might ruin your day. Fun huh?
IMG_0831.JPG

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That would explain why a couple of my used ones acted differently in the holders already in the head I'm using. Does it show different part numbers for different bars or holders? I know the bars are just A or B because I just bought all 4 NOS from DSS, but I haven't checked the holder part numbers... more nice investigative work, Lefty.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would explain why a couple of my used ones acted differently in the holders already in the head I'm using. Does it show different part numbers for different bars or holders? I know the bars are just A or B because I just bought all 4 NOS from DSS, but I haven't checked the holder part numbers... more nice investigative work, Lefty.
My parts list shows them as an assembly with one part number. Is that how you got your new ones? The lifter forks are a separate part number and swapping those doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if Honda increased preload on the cr roadracers this way.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It is how I got the new ones and I just looked, you're right - the assembly has the part number. I was thinking it was like so many other things Honda shows as an assembly but also sells the individual parts, but it isn't in this case. I've never been told that when I worked at the shops but then again, they weren't old then like they are now and I never had to replace any of those parts during any rebuild so it never came up. In this engine, I re-used the bar sets I got with it but since you bring this up, the bars I pulled from the supposed-low-mileage engine I bought were tried in the holders from my head, so maybe that's why they seemed like they were weak. I always wondered if Team Hansen's original entries from Honda's support (before Naughtin got involved) used torsion bars, but since they were trying to prove a point - as Honda always does and definitely can do when they want to - you'd assume they used the torsion bars just to prove they could do it. Pretty sure Naughtin ended up going with coil springs after a few years of stressing torsion bars to their limits, like with the .414" lift cams like I bought from him earlier this year. With all the attention to little details you're putting into this engine, you should be able to extract every ounce of power it can make with stock cams. Feels like I got lucky, as good as mine runs with as little worry and due diligence I put into mine compared to what you're doing. At least I knew the potential of most of the parts from previous usage, which is what I was counting on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts