Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on the site. Can someone confirm if this is foot pounds or not? _DSC0129.jpg

Thanks
LGR

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The numbers in parentheses are foot-pounds.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I follow torque values on larger and more important bolts and nuts, like engine parts, particularly the head, but for the smaller stuff like 6mm and 8mm bolts and nuts, just a good feel of tight without going overboard (example would be the top bridge [or triple tree as some call it] clamps where you have to be careful). Most of the values in parentheses seem to be foot-pounds, but some of those on smaller stuff seem a bit high to me in some cases

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
In the early 80s I worked as a maintenance supervisor for a large company .We bought about 300 million bucks worth of equipment from Finland. All torque specks were in Newton Meters..
I bought the crew torque wrenches that read in Newton Meters. You can find the conversion on line.

Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I'm obsessing over the torque thing. But the right and left case torque specs seem low to me. when torquing them with my driver it doesn't seem like enough. Someone give me some confidence please that this is good. This is for my CB175 FSM says 5.8 to 8.7 foot pounds.

Thanks for the help
LGR

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
My manual specs 5.1 to 8.0...(175 Sloper).....Basically a good snug and a smidge.......
Add anti-seize if using stainless bolts.....and tighten to higher end of range.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I did use anti seize. I went about 10 on the torque. you think thats okay?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Pretty much has to be unless you want to replace the now compressed gasket as well......

Over-torquing risks bolt shear.... Might affect it while tightening....Might shear on attempt to loosen it the next time it is required.....Might never shear.....

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Narrower diameter bolts have lower torque specs, as do aluminum threads vs steel.
Don't let it put you off.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's a "feel" you develop over time when working on mechanical stuff... after you do as I did when I was 14 and worry too much about stuff being tight enough, and in so doing break off a few 6mm bolts along the way, you learn to feel when they're plenty tight but not go beyond the strength of the bolt size

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Narrower diameter bolts have lower torque specs, as do aluminum threads vs steel.
Don't let it put you off.
That's one of the nice things about the OEM cheese heads the bit will start mashing the head and start slipping before the cases strip.

I just snug the bolts tight with a single light wack from my impact driver and call it done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts