Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im rebuilding my cb250n from the ground up and ive just had the comstars powder coated but i have no torque guide for the bolts that hold the hub the the fins.

In fact i could do with a guide for the whole bike as Haynes has about three torque settings in the whole manual.

cheers

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. AFAIK, Comstars are not made to be taken apart, so no torque value.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Unfortunately, that is true.... AFAIK, IF you removed the hub from the "spokes" (or even just loosened those bolts) your Comstar wheel will need to be replaced.....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum. AFAIK, Comstars are not made to be taken apart, so no torque value.
Definitely not. It so states in the FSM. Honda expressly forbade people from disassembling/reassembling, repairing, or modifying Comstars back in the day. Not just end-users... I read a post over at SOHC4.net by someone (I think it was CrazyPJ) who worked at a Honda dealer when they first came out and stated that they received a lot of information to the dealers about why they shouldn't mess with them either.

You will never see official Honda torque specifications for rebuilding a Comstar wheel. You will also never get the rivets from Honda, as they did not offer them for sale. The same is true for the bolts which would have (IIRC) been staked and "one time use."

You can search the Internet until you find someone, somewhere, who has rebuilt Comstar wheels. But they would have had to guess at the torque values.

Disassembling a Comstar wheel is a no-no. Do not do it. If you have already done so, use the resulting pile of parts for a piece of lawn sculpture, lol.

Even if you could somehow SAFELY disassemble and reassemble them (having marked everything as you went, so that you could reassemble them the same way, with each "spoke" returned to its exact original place)... I don't know how you'd get them trued. It certainly wouldn't happen at a Honda dealer (and wouldn't have, even when the motorcycles they were installed on were being sold new).

Hey, can someone help Segmant out with a FSM? I sense a critical need....

Regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the input, i should have been a little clearer, yes we had to remove those one time use bolts but we didnt disassemble the wheels, rivets, fins and hubs all stayed in place, weve built the front wheel back up so far and had it tested and it all is as was.

Mind you I am worried about it from all you guys feed back now!!

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
DO NOT ride that "rebuilt" Comstar......You MIGHT be OK IF you removed and replaced one bolt at a time, but if more than one bolt was loose simultaneously, it's a crapshoot....

Please don't endanger your life or others by riding what is a known problem waiting to occur....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts