Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, new to the forum. I just bought a rusted non-running 1971 cb450.(k4?)my first project bike. it will be exciting. i will post pics at some point. the top triple tree bridge piece holding the forks was cracked in two places, so i replaced with one off of a 1975 500Twin. I have seen a post or two that makes me wonder if the spacing and offset are exactly the same or not or if I am causing a problem using the original lower triple with the 500T top triple. only major difference i saw is that the 500 has an extra ring for the iginition and that the gauge mount holes are in a different spot. no biggy.

anyone?

also, I have access to this doner bike for about a week, i just have to swap the parts. I will be comparing things for cosmetic stuff, and trying to get mine running so I know if there is any mechanical things I need to change, but is there anything that I should just swap because the 500twin has better?

as in the front forks? they dont have boots, which is kinda nice, and mine are super rusty pitted between the 2 triple trees.
or the whole front end? does the 500t have a better disc brake piston system?

mine also have bicycle tire valves in the fork caps for adjusting the fork air pressure i guess, dont know if i want that or not.

which forks are easier/cheaper to rebuild?

thanks for any info!

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
I'd go with the entire 500T front end, just for looks...(500T stem does have the same width and offset as the 450)....Brake caliper, etc are the same on the later 450's and 500T.......
Again, for looks, I'd also swap out the 500T's finned valve covers.......and fuel tank

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! i might do the whole front swap if he is ok with it, and i will have to have a look at the valve covers, i would never have realized they are different!

any other suggestions from anyone? will do a big swap trip on saturday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts