Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals.

I picked up a 1980 Honda CM200Twin Star, everyhting is fine, runs good, guy who had it before me put an all new consinsor and points in it, re timed it, run great!
Problem I am having is the top speed, she starts to red line at 60kph (not Mph) and it should red line at 119.9Kph as per the specs found across various sites. Right now this bike is my only set of wheels to get around for work on for the time being.

Now what I can not figure out is if this was meant to be this way and I do not have a manual for it, cause aside from adjusting the clutch abit would this be related to the sprockets on it perhaps? its got 15 on the front and 35 on the rear. Is that stock or did some one re tune this for the hilly / mini mountain roads?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
15/35 is the stock sprocket sizing. I'm not sure what you're referencing when you say it starts to redline. Redline is max rpm suggested by a manufacturer and is seen on a tach which your model doesn't have. Is the clutch slipping? Loss of power? Lack of power?
PM sent for the FSM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here's what I do not understand. in the Speedometer there are red line markings for each of the gears. By the time I am in 4th gear I can cruse along at 50kph when I shouldn't be in 4th gear at 50 kph. The motor starts to rev high in RPM's moment I start progressing past 50kph as it starts to redline scream at 60kph. The motor has its still factory set of power so no loss, clutch bites like it should, runs smooth like a honda, and yet I can start off in 2nd gear as I can just release the clutch in 1st gear and let the engine idle putt me around with out touching the throttle.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The markings on the speedo for each gear are the max recommended speed for each gear. I'd take it out on the road and run it up to the max in each gear. It should accelerate evenly to each mark on the speedo. If the engine starts revving and not attaining the speed on the meter then the clutch is slipping. You'll notice that moreso in higher gears like 3rd and 4th. I suspect that is what's happening to you. If the engine doesn't rev like mentioned and you can't attain the speed mark for that gear then I'd check the timing advance with a timing light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be clutch then, I'll have to pull the cover off and see.

Cause like I said doing 50Kph in final gear makes no sense. I can not take the gears to their markings at all. And yet the clutch runs smooth.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The clutch can operate completely normal and still be loosing grip. Likely it'll need springs and possibly new frictions, steels should be fine.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Age of parts can have an effect plus who knows how the previous riders used it. They may have even put automobile oil in it instead of motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First thing I did was an oil change, oil in it wasnt too too bad, was getting their, but reeked of guzzaline.

Either the last guy never shut the tap off all winter, or the oil filer screen was cleaned with guzzaline and was never flushed before reinstalling it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts