Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link to the correct way to disassemble the top end of my bike? I noticed oil leaking from the gasket between the cylinder jugs I guess they would be called? Which leads me to believe I need to pull the cylinders and have them honed and new rings installed.

I'd like to do the majority of the work myself, save honing, to keep the cash output low. Any info you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
An oil leak doesn't mean you have bad rings, it just means you have an oil leak.
But to get to that gasket, you might as well hone and re-ring while you're there.

Nothing complicated about tearing it down.
Remove engine from frame.
Remove tappet covers and break cam chain - most of us do it on the intake side, on the sprocket area, I just use a Dremel to grind off a couple of pins then punch it out. Tie wires to the ends of the chain, then fish the long end back through to the front.
Remove the 8 head nuts, lift it all off.

Putting it back together is more complicated - there's something here about that - Bill's 450 Site

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's some good news. I thought from the location of the oil leak it would require a rebuild.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I should have mentioned - once you've broken the cam chain, DO NOT rotate the crankshaft until the head is removed completely, otherwise you'll bend valves....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts