Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how much noise I should expect from my top end. I just replaced the head gasket and fired it up. I notice its noisy but most old bikes are. I did what I could for the chain tensioner. I don't think the valves need adjustment after just a head gasket, or do they?

Is this just the way these old hondas are?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I would imagine that ANY top end work will benefit from a thorough tune up. Forget about the noise for now...how does it run?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It runs awesome. Way more power now that I got the timing just perfect.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is it always recommended to do a valve adjust after a head gasket install?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also didnt fill the beds where the cam lobes go into. I understand this will make it noisy. Do i have to dismantle the engine to fill these?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
.... That can make it noisy AND can cause cam/tappet damage...(only takes a few minutes of running dry to wipe out the camshaft)......

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back together now. Running a little ratty but I need to mess with the timing some more. Shhhh don't tell Momma about her front door mat.

Cleaned up the front brake and bought some steel lines. Painted it red.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So when I do the timing and go to do the right side. Can it knock my left out? Do I Have to keep going back n forth until they are both perfect?

It's not firing the left cylinder right now. Right side is fine.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so after getting sick of ignition issues (worn points), I ordered new coils (mikesxs is awesome), new condensor and new points. After timing on the exhaust stroke twice I decided to try the compression stroke and BOOM fires right away. All new wires are awesome.

Now If I could just mount my seat i'd be laughin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts