Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished honing my cylinders, new rings gaskets etc. Bolting everything back together, but I can not get the timing marks to line up in the camshaft. I can not physically turn the cam, it hits the lifters before I can get the marks to line up. The Service manual shows the marks lining up, with lifters and torsion bar installed. I read another thread on here in which another member was having this same issue, to which someone mentioned taking the torsion bars out (I can't get them out, to tight with everything installed.

Everything appears to be installed correctly according to the service manual. I was able to get everything to line up by taking the rockers out while I install the cam chain and get the timing correct, I will just install the lifters after the fact when the chain is installed and I can spin the cams so the lobes are not interfearing. BUT this step, or one like it is not detailed in the Service Manual. so.. did I do something wrong? I am fairly positive this install process will work, but I don't want to cause damage to my engine by ignoring a potential problem.

again the issue is that I can not align the small mark on the cam with the small mark on the sleve it goes in because the lobe on the cam makes contact with the lifter at that point and I am unable to turn the cam by hand. What am I missing here. (sorry I don't have a pic of this)

Here is what I have done.
-dingle ball honed cylinders
-cleaned valves with coarse nylon wheel (kept track of each of valve and where they belonged in the engine, so I was putting everything back where I got it from)
-lapped valves
-new gaskets
-new cam chain

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The cams go in with the left cylinder at TDC between the compression and power strokes. This puts the right cylinder at BDC between the exhaust and intake strokes. This is in the valve overlap area and there is spring pressure on both of the right side valves. Back the lash adjuster all the way back as far as you can. The cams will need to be held in place while you string the cam chain. Good luck, The guys in the factory are no smarter than you are.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
What chain did you use? Anything but the DID 219T will not fit right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cams go in with the left cylinder at TDC between the compression and power strokes. This puts the right cylinder at BDC between the exhaust and intake strokes. This is in the valve overlap area and there is spring pressure on both of the right side valves. Back the lash adjuster all the way back as far as you can. The cams will need to be held in place while you string the cam chain. Good luck, The guys in the factory are no smarter than you are.
Thank you for the response. I actually do have the lash adjusters out all the way, I still am unable to rotate the cam into position, I tried wrapping a chain around the cam and pulling, no luck. If I remove the lifters for the cam chain install, then install then after it should all fit, I just don't want to make everything fit and be ignoring a problem, like the crazy amount of pressure it's taking to push these pistons in.

If that's normal, then I will just get everything installed and see if it works normally when turning the stator.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You should find out. I don't think the chain from common motor collective is the right chain.

The DID chain SHOULD have DID stamped on the links and this doesn't look like it
Honda CL / CB450 Cam Chain | Common Motor Collective

Although it is a 219 pitch chain, the rollers are slight bigger and will make it not fit right on the CB450. Trust me on this.
I had a hell of a time trying to get my cam timing marks to line up with the EK 219H chain.

I would recommend this one (cheapest even with the shipping cost from Germany)
Honda CB 450 CB450 K3 - K7 CB 500 Steuerkette D.I.D. 219 T 128 cam chain | eBay

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should find out. I don't think the chain from common motor collective is the right chain.

The DID chain SHOULD have DID stamped on the links and this doesn't look like it

Although it is a 219 pitch chain, the rollers are slight bigger and will make it not fit right on the CB450. Trust me on this.
I had a hell of a time trying to get my cam timing marks to line up with the EK 219H chain.

Hmm, crap. It wasn't a cheap chain. I have everything hooked up right now, the master link is not pressed in yet, but it's threaded through and all the marks appear to be lining up, hoping that's the case after I press the plate on, I will let you know.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

I have a whole box full of those (H) cam chains under my bench -none of them would work - could never get the second cam to line up.
They all came as an unbroken loop, had to be broken before use.
The correct ones already come broken, with a link.
Install the cams and tappets, etc. in their loosest spots, so the cam end bearings slide on with minimal resistance-be sure they're screwed down with uniform torque.
Then the exhaust cam in particular has to be rotated almost 180 degrees to hit the timing mark-you have to use a screwdriver on the teeth to turn it, you ain't doin' it by hand.....once you get it on the mark, you can usually hold it in place by hand and get the chain on the teeth and started over to the intake side.
It's a fiddly process, but easy after a few reps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a whole box full of those (H) cam chains under my bench -none of them would work - could never get the second cam to line up.
They all came as an unbroken loop, had to be broken before use.
The correct ones already come broken, with a link.
Install the cams and tappets, etc. in their loosest spots, so the cam end bearings slide on with minimal resistance-be sure they're screwed down with uniform torque.
Then the exhaust cam in particular has to be rotated almost 180 degrees to hit the timing mark-you have to use a screwdriver on the teeth to turn it, you ain't doin' it by hand.....once you get it on the mark, you can usually hold it in place by hand and get the chain on the teeth and started over to the intake side.
It's a fiddly process, but easy after a few reps
yes, this is good, I was hoping it was supposed to be this difficult. Didn't want to just force things into place and bend/break things. I will hofully have this beast together tonight! Won't be able to start for a few weeks but I can at least compression test, crossing my fingers for more than 100psi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts