Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for twin experts. It seems that quite a few 360`s have cracked top bridges. Is this really that common? Would beefing up fork springs correct the problem?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Yes, It is that common, BUT, the usual two causes are collision impact or overtorquing the pinch bolts...... The older style bridges used a washer in a narrower slot to prevent overtorquing, but the newer design ( to cut manufacturing costs ) is prone to stress failures...... FOLLOW TORQUE SPECS stringently when installing this part.... They are rapidly becoming scarce..... Different fork springs won't help this, but they can help the ride.... Silicon-steel springs are MUCH preferable to the "music-wire" originals, even in the same wind and weight.... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'll also add the you should tighten the lower stem pinch bolts before you tighten down the big center nut on top of the stem.
The triple clamp pinch bolts should be tightened last, to avoid any undue strain on the clamp.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Yes, It is that common, BUT, the usual two causes are collision impact or overtorquing the pinch bolts...... The older style bridges used a washer in a narrower slot to prevent overtorquing, but the newer design ( to cut manufacturing costs ) is prone to stress failures..... Steve
Hey, don't forget you already promised to send me one of these, Steve !!!

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bill, ....Yours is still set aside and safe.....As soon as I can afford to, I'll send it...LOL.... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bill, ....Yours is still set aside and safe.....As soon as I can afford to, I'll send it...LOL.... Steve
Steve -

As soon as I can afford it I'll send you some cash.
It's been a very bad month here - $1,000 to fix wifey's car, $1,000 to the veterinarian, $600 for a new water heater that exploded and totally ruined a $2500 vintage guitar, snow and cold up the wazoo, blah, blah........

Sigh - life seems to get more complicated every year.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou for the quick reply. I picked up a decent 1975 CB360T and was told it had been dropped once. I`ll post a picture as soon as I get a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts