Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neutral light on, press starter "click" sound, then nothing electrical works. After several kick starts, it turns over, starts up and the neutral light comes back on and all other lights work. What is going on? The battery is good 12.5+v

Your input is appreciated, thank you.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me. Check all the connections at the battery, on the frame where the main ground is and at the main fuse under the seat.
Don

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That "click" is the solenoid activating..... IF your starter motor is bad or "stuck", it will quickly pull down the battery, and nothing else electrical will have any power.... You can check the starter motor by jumping it directly off a car battery...If it still doesn't roll over, it's bad, so Don't use the e-start.... Report back and we'll try to get the exact scenario appraised, and perhaps fixed....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...All checks out. I started getting turn signal issues yesterday. They would work for a flash or so and then just stay on. Guess I should check the headlight bucket, huh?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reply above was in response to Don, with the idea of a bad ground. I'll try to jump the starter....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I was able to jump it, but I did it with a screwdriver...is that bad? Afterwords I tried the starter button and it spun, but it didn't turn over the engine. The battery has a charge, it just sounds like the chain is spinning around...sounds noisy. Could it be that the brushes are worn, and they got stuck, only to be turned loose by the "kicking over" of the bike?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Dan.... You have several things that will need addressed....
The "chain noise" is usually a bad starter clutch.....Usually relatively inexpensive and fairly easy (although involved) to repair....The good news is the starter motor itself seems to work once it gets power....
The solenoid now seems to work and activate the starter when you push the "start" button (correct?) although its internal contacts may still need cleaning (you did have to "screwdriver" jump across them initially).....
The signals "staying on" and not flashing could be the wrong flasher, the wrong bulbs, a weak battery, or just dirty electrical connections..... With MOST of your "gremlins" seeming to be electrically related, I'm hoping you just have the latter.... I suggest you clean and check every connection and ground on the bike to begin with, and we'll go on from there once that's done......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
66Spirit - Ok, I'll check/clean all connections. If there is any "play" in the connection, should I just crimp it closed? Also, for the cleaning of electrical contacts, what do you use? Just curious how the real mechanics do it .
Thanks for the help, I feel like an annoying little brother, hope I'm not :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
All connections should fit tightly together. electronic tuner cleaner/parts cleaner does wonders on things you can't even get at. Avoid cleaners that indicate they include a lubricant - they're good for some types of switches with "wipe" type contacts. Clean contacts before connecting them. Auto parts stores sell electrical sealers (ærosol or brush-on) that you can put on connections after ascertaining that there's a good connection. Protects them from moisture and corrosion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.