Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as you can read i just got my new gaskets from honda for the clutch side cover. now they aint that expensive and if i was sure i wouldnt be back in there i wouldnt even worry about it but being an unridden bike i dont want to goop up the new gasket and then have to take it back off next week. i did trace it so i can make my own but what do you all think i have always used sealer on gaskets except for the cork valve covers on the VW's

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Dude, you'll start a flame war over that question.

Some folks say use no sealer at all, some say use sealer "X" - it's like asking what oil to use, everyone has their own opinion.
There are folks here who lose their minds over the mere mention of the "s" word, others who swear by HondaBond (which is itself a silicon variant), blah, blah........

If you can put it together with no sealer, and it doesn't leak, then that's great.
If it does leak, then you get to take it apart and try something else.

I won't mention what I do, except to say it was born of my experience as an official Honda mechanic in a series of very large shops. In these places, if what you did leaked then you got to do it over, out of your own pocket. So you can imagine the mindset I developed, yeah ???

You'll have to decide yourself........

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Have to agree with music.

It may not be up there with politics, religion, or bonde/burnette/redhead but it could fill a book.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i have talked it over with myself and have decided no goop for now, after i have ridden and made sure all works fine then if it leaks i will goop it up. Hows that sound...i hope that apeases all the gasket gods.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well then, when you get it goin' you'll have to stop by my place for a bit.....I'm on the other side of town, by the fairgrounds. PM for an address........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts