Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm renovating a CB450 K1 that has sat in a shed for some 15 years. It's in remarkably good condition for that long sleep.

So part of the plan to get it back on the road was to replace brake shoes as I read somewhere that the lining of the shoe can detach from the backing. When I took the front brake apart, the shoe - a honda part - looked almost new. The thickness is 4mm against a new thickness of 4.5mm (according to Clymer).

It seems a waste to throw away such a good looking part (bearings look new too) so I wondering how much store to put in the story of detachment. Is it something that is almost guaranteed? Something that could well happen - it's quite common? Or is this something that happened to someone once and has entered the folklore?

Grateful if anyone can quantify the risk.

Sean

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
When in doubt replace. Yes, the linings will delaminate from the metal shoe and when that happens the lining will rotate on top of the other lining and lock up the wheel.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part
For the wheel bearings it's a simple check of inserting a finger into the bearing and rotating it 360 degrees several times in each direction. If there's any stiffness or even slightly notchy feeling to them they are going bad. All it takes is one of the balls to disintegrate for total failure. There again, if in doubt replace. They're relatively cheap since they are generic bearings available thru almost any bearing supply company.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic - took me a while to work it out.

The bearings are good; look new and smooth as the proverbial baby's.

I'm going to check the rear brake and if it looks as good as the front one, I think I'll give it a go. Just looks too good to throw in the bin!

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
A set of Brake Shoes for $35-40 is very cheap life insurance IMO.

Reactions: JAYinNY

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A set of Brake Shoes for $35-40 is very cheap life insurance IMO.
This. Just because the friction parts look good, doesn't mean the glue that binds it has survived, and you can't see that. As LDR said, if that glue lets go, you may stop very quickly; if it's the rear, not TOO bad, but the front ...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I dont have a photo like Jim but ive oppened up hubs and had the shoes delaminate before my eyes. Like tyres they have a best before date and should be replaced if theyre old even if theyre unused
I agree with Simo, this just isn't a corner worth cutting.

Years ago on my 750K3 I had disassembled the rear brake on the bench, shoes looked good but with the slightest finger nudge one let go. :eek: :-o

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Every bike I buy gets new brake linings automatically, most get new bearings as well as tires. My life depends on those parts, if the engine quits no big deal but when one of those 3 quit life can become really ugly really fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. Sounds sensible.

I'm at the point of replacing the front wheel bearings, but can't see exactly how to get them out. There is no obvious lip on either side I can use to drive them out.

Is there a trick? Do I need a bearing puller or some other clever gadget?

Will also follw aadvice on brake shoes. Is there a recokmmended pattern part - not an OEM number; getting those to Zimbabwe costs as much as the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Every bike I buy gets new brake linings automatically, most get new bearings as well as tires. My life depends on those parts, if the engine quits no big deal but when one of those 3 quit life can become really ugly really fast.
I do have a picture of linings like Jim's. The bearings might be OK, but if they are original from Honda I will bet good money the grease is not. At 48 YO it will be like dried toothpaste. The same goes for the swing arm, steering head, front wheel and the tach drive. Once I saw video on the old TV show Cafe Racer where the front wheel bearings failed and the wheel locked up. The rider went down at out 45MPH. Not pretty.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Once I saw video on the old TV show Cafe Racer where the front wheel bearings failed and the wheel locked up. The rider went down at out 45MPH. Not pretty.
Sounds like 1983, I-5 northbound from Everett on a Sportster I was breaking in the engine for a friend. Lots of bumps and bruises with a light dose of rash, bike was totaled after it bounced of a guard rail and under a logging truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts