Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm seeking advice of a subjective nature.

I'm coming to the final stages of the mechanical aspects of my Cafe project and am beginning to contemplate the final aesthetics.

to this end I have two questions; but fist, I should provide a little background on the build.
I had 4 objectives for this project.
1.) create a bike that is styled lilke a 60's or early 70's cafe racer
2.) but with modern conveniences, (current switchgear, electronic ignition, modern brakes and suspension, halogen and LED lighting, etc. )
3.) build quality that appears to the untrained eye to be an OEM factory Honda motorcycle (all fasteners and brackets are welded in place, 100% custom wire harness with all modern OEM honda factory connectors, keyed ignition on the triple clamp that also contains a stearing lock and parking light option, keyed seat release with helmet holder, etc.)
4.) build to vintage racing specs .... 362cc big bore kit, megacycle cam, roller bearing cam box, etc. (yes I also will have a 4LS front drum wheel)

So here are the 2 questions:
1.) should I paint the bike in Honda racing red or Candy Panther Green (stock color on a 72 CL350k4 and the donnor bike for the stock engine)
2.) what model designation should I give the bike on the tail,
*CB350
*CB362
*RC362 (all honda prototype racers were called RCxxxx)
*CR362 (all honda production based racers from the 50s and 60's were called CRxxxx)
*something else?

If you reply to this I'd love to hear the "why" with your answer.

Of course nothing really matters it's all just good fun :D

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are some pictures to see what I've been up to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a few more angles

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Unless you're going all out with crank work, etc, I'd be inclined to go with CB362. That's just my opinion, and will keep the haters at bay..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having bill moeller at bore-tech build the motor next fall. lot's of top end work, big bore kit, HD cam chain and guide, porting, race spec billet cam, needle cam bearings, carbide coated cylinders, hardened rockers, guides, valves, springs. I still want it to idle though so I'm not cutting into the crank (may still have it balanced though) and I haven't decided yet on doing the Capellini oil pump conversion...I think it's a good idea but I just can't get over the price they want for it.

the other name I toyed with was YB362. before HRC existed Honda offered factory race parts to the public under the YB designation.

what about color? Honda racing red or 70's candy panther green?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sounds like you've got a fat wallet, so you can call it anything you want to, and paint it any color you desire! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nah, I'm just old. I've been saving up my lunch money for years. I started collecting parts for this thing 7 years ago. finally had enough parts to start the build last January.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sounds just like my build. I've been collecting parts for at least 5-6 years and modding little bits as I go. It's gonna take me forever.

Yours is coming along nicely for sure!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ooh I like that red...do you happen to know what bike model may have used it so I can look up the paint code?
CB sounds safer

RC or CR sounds more fun :shock:

·
Registered
363 Posts
What sort of instrument cluster is that? I assume fully electronic?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts