Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just buffed and polished my engine cases (generator and clutch covers) and they are nice and shiny. Should I clear coat or lacquer them or just put them on and keep cleaning them?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Though I painted my larger engine covers, I've polished many of my other engine parts as well as the brake backing plates and lower fork legs, and I left them as is - clear coat detracts from the shine a bit and may eventually yellow as Honda's clear did over the long haul. I haven't had to re-polish anything of mine since doing it 2 years ago, though it is stored inside

·
Registered
459 Posts
For polished parts I use Mothers and just keep the parts clean with a clean dry rag. If they start to get cloudy I give them a real quick rub with more Mothers. Seems to work for me and I hardly ever have to reapply polish. I've been working out of the same tin of polish for 3-4 years now if that's any indication of how little maintenance they need and I ride all seasons rain or shine (when craps not broken).

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Don't clear them. Once they are initially well-polished, it doesn't take much work to keep them looking good, especially if you use a metal polish with a built in oxidation inhibitor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts