Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when installing a new head gasket, breather cover gasket, and points cover gasket, should i be using hondabond or is it best to have just the gasket? I don't know if it makes any difference but none of the surfaces are perfectly smooth.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
danfr said:
when installing a new head gasket, breather cover gasket, and points cover gasket, should i be using hondabond or is it best to have just the gasket? I don't know if it makes any difference but none of the surfaces are perfectly smooth.
No question on the head gasket, definitely use an actual head gasket. Way too much going on there for Hondabond to work. As for the others I would use the standard 'paper' gasket as these are typically covers that are taken off from time to time to check gaps and such. Hondabond is typically used for joining the two case halves, and even then there are differences of opinion on whether to use it or not.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I use....

Yamabond (same as Hondabond I guess) on crank cases (very small amount spead out with a finger).
Permatex Hi-Tach red gasket sealant on paper gaskets (lightly).
Permatex copper gasket sealer on copper gaskets...like head gaskets & exhaust gaskets.

Never had a problem. But I make sure my surfaces are supper clean, using alcohol as a final cleaning agent.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
SPECIFICLY, what do you think is wrong with the one in the kit?..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts