Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today. 1972 CB175, 3,000 original miles, has been kept inside, no rust.......literally almost none..........turns over, good compression. Does not run, appears that something is on the side covers...............do you think that would come off? Also, the fork ears are black............does anyone know if any of the CB175 came with black fork ears? All I have seen have the tank/overall color scheme on the fork ears. The only thing wrong with it is that he disconnected the wires because he did not have the key, and started it. He said it was leaking gas from the tubes, so he cut it off, but then again, no way to really know. It looks like it could be just a clean up job, battery, and carb rebuild. He will not budge off of $1000. Do you guys think it is worth it, or not?

I have another 1972 CB175, with the more modern design and rounder tank sitting in the garage right now.......I think HONDA changed the design in the middle of the 1972 year......having it bored over because it was locked up.......

Let me know what you guys think.

Joel

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really a collector, but its really for just around town....not on highways or interstates....I already have a cb125 in perfect running order, and it gets me around just fine, so I guess I am sort of a collector, and have a good friend that is a retired HONDA mechanic........so he can help me get it running, but just wanted to know what everyone thought of the price (southeast US) and if it would be a good......decent......or bad buy. Also, wanted to know about the fork ears, and the "stuff" on the side covers and if anyone thought it would buff or sand out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This looks to be in typical shape for the era. I have a 72 350. I would be careful about it not running though. 9 out of 10 you are correct in that they need new battery, carbs, timing. But what if this is the 1 and the engine has major issues? Are you prepared to rebuild the motor?

My question is, If you already have a CB 125, why buy this being so similar? Why not go bigger or different model?

As for the paint/petina - you will likely need to enjoy it or repaint in my experience. I am repainting myself.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
No, walk away.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Good title, in his name? Doesn't look too bad in the pictures. It doesn't run, you have no idea what it will cost to get it up and running. There are probably not that many potential buyers out there with a hankering for a 46 year old non-running $1000 motorcycle. Offer him $500, you can always offer more later if you just have to have it .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love the gas tank paint job. I think you’ve done well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Over here in the UK folks would bite your arm off for a rust free CB175 at 450 UKP, worth more than that in parts alone even if it didn't run.

But as you say it turns over, with good compression, unlikely to be much wrong with it.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats on the new (new to you) bike!
Let us know if you are able to buff out that paint. I have a '75 CB200t with the same paint issue. I have tried buffing by hand with cleaner wax and scratch remover. But no luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update .........after cleaning the bike really good, put a battery in it, new gas, and it fired right up. Everything running and looking perfect.

Reactions: 83XLX

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man, I wish I had that kind of luck with "firm" sellers. Everytime I try to talk them down or tell them I don't want it for that price they flip out and tell me they're going to chop the bike in "pices" (their words). This has happened more times than I want to admit, I live in a kinda "methy" area.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just be careful removing those side covers, they crack easy and are worth gold. Remove seat and push out the plastic nipples, do not pull on the side covers until you have new rubber grommets and liberally greased them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts