Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a lot of years I have been drooling over the classic Honda twins, but there aint many over here and nowadays the prices are really high. Why is that? Mostly because the cafe racer / scrambler conversions still are a big hype.
I am going to see this one, a dissassembled one: the owner bought it to convert to a cafe racer, but had no time and left the project almost at the beggining. Bike is almost complete, except one exhaust manifold, the two intake rubber manifolds, air boxes and the bolts/bushings that hold the engine to the frame.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Tire Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Metal Auto part Engine Machine Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Auto part

Looking at the photos, do you think this is a bad project option? Looks like one of the hard ones to get back on the road?

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Maybe this will help- I spent nearly $4,000 doing a resto/repair on a '72 350 that was complete and assembled and required no major engine work. I did everything myself except for the paint so the parts cost alone on a project like this will easily exceed the value of the bike. Even if you are just looking to make it safe and run well, it is better to start with something that you can at least test the compression on and shift the gears so you can rule out the need for major engine and transmission work.

·
Registered
500 Posts
To me, any classic Honda is a good project. I put $3000 in my cafe racer and did everything myself except paint and carbs. If I was doing it all over again, I would do EVERYTHING myself. Ended up doing the carbs anyway and not happy with the paint. They will gain values over the years, but that's not why we do it. You would be very happy to ride it knowing you did it yourself. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Look at treads, projects here and YouTube videos to get inspired. You will get all the help you need here on the forum as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would not recommend buying a bike such as that unless you are very familiar with CB350s. I'd start with a complete,together example. Don't know where you are or what the asking price is but here in NY the last basket case CB350 that was complete I bought for $50. I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars for one, and I can look at a pile of CB350 parts and have a pretty good idea of what's missing.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If I had to guess I would guess the OP is from Europe. Portugal perhaps based on the Custojusto.pt web site watermark on the photos.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Go buy it. Just remember, there is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle. I would call this a bare metal restoration. That means every part is taken down to clean bare metal, the surfaces restored and the mechanics made to factory shop manual specifications for serviceable. Expect about 40 eight hour days in the shop and spending about $3000 not counting chrome. If you stick with it, you will have a nice running bike that you will be proud of. Keep us posted, many of us will be along to advise and help.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
If cheap enough I would get it, plenty of help on this forum to get it together. Even if you spend beyond it's value, you will have a bike that will last and can be passed on to heirs. The biggest thing is to follow the FSM exactly and do it right the first time, these bikes are notorious for causing frustration and emptying wallets if you try to take shortcuts. Always troubleshoot down to a part instead of throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The previous owner sent me a message telling me he will take more photos and that the bike REALLY needs a lot of work. Not sure if he is beeing a nice guy telling me that this is a lemon...
Maybe I should refrain and try to find a better example. Sure it will be more expensive, but not sure if it will be much safer, since a lot of things must be bad on a bike this age.
I have only bought a dissasembled bike once, a Vespa gtr, and things went well with just minor service to the engine. All other motorcycles I bought so far where assembled and working, except a Yamaha xj650 that had no batt and could not test if was working or not.

Will try to look at the new photos when he sends me, and will try to make a wise decision...

Thanks everyone for the opinions...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My first full rebuild I bought a 1965 Honda CB77. It was a wrecked flat tracker that had set in a field uncovered for 7 years. The motor was locked up and what wasnt missing was damaged. The only good part was the frame and it came with a clear title. Long story short ,3 years and $6000.00 later I had a bike any one would be proud off. I did everything except the paint and I did all sheet metal work and paid a guy to spray it. If you have the time and the money and want something you can proud of go for it . If your not willing to wait that long for a ride let it go.

Just my thought.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
One other thing about getting it disassembled and reassembling it yourself, you know it was done correctly. I go through a new to me bike anyway since you have no idea what a previous owner has done and can haunt you later, especially a catastrophic failure on the interstate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts