Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a sticky on this but a post that said you could run a 130/90 on the rear by moving the break bar out about 1/4" or so.... I'm refering to the one that runs parallel to the actual brake linkage.

My question, and I want to run a larger tire in rear and front, is can you run same size without much mod? Say, 130.80.17.

Or, would it be preferable to run a 130.80.17 on rear and a 120.80.18 in front?

·
Banned
854 Posts
It might be helpful to include some info like what bike you are talking about and the sizes of the current rims and tires.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Rim width determines the size tires that can be mounted, going taller or wider than stock risks rubbing fender, brake, speedometer cable, etc.

Rim size should be found on one side of your rims.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Not to mention that mounting a tire on a rim either wider or narrower than it was designed for will change the profile of the tire. The effect on performance will not be positive.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The CM's all ran an 18" front and 16" rear.
Correct sizing Front is a 3.50 18 or 90/90/18
Correct sizing Rear is a 4.60 16 or a 120/90/16
You can fit a 100/90/18 in front and a 130/90/16 rear. The fit in front will be tight with the fender mounts, the rear requires that you move the rear brake stay outboard of it's front mounting bracket. You need to put a spacer in the bracket where the stay used to sit to avoid collapsing the bracket.
The 130 rear is a very close fit to the chain, @1/4" clearance and the chain guard may need to be modified to fit.
There isn't any real benefit to the 1 size larger other than ease of finding tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question, based on images, is will the 130 I just ordered work on rear? I can move the stay bar out, block and shim it all that but what about the chain?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Seems to me I’m closer to the chain with a 120 than the stay bar. See images... I could measure but it’s vidibly noticeable.
Is that an Ont plate? If so, where are you located?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Once the chain is adjusted and the axle adjusters are exactly the same side to side you should have clearance for the chain, not much but enough since the chain doesn't travel sideways unless it's worn or very loose. The brake stay and chain clearances are different, can't compare them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been obsessing over tire sizes, rim charts and limited options a week or so now. Anyone gone smaller on their cm400? Shinko has a 110/90/16 front/rear tire and a 712 in 3.0 x18. Any thoughts on this setup? I am currently running a 120/90/16 Kenda Challenger on the rear and a Duro 3.0 x 18 that came on the bike on the front. There appear to be very limited options for a 90mm front tire and the 120mm rear, but have considered a Michelin Pilot Activ or Bridgeston Battlax BT45 for the front, mismatched with Kenda 110 or maybe another Kenda Challenger. Or I could go with a correct size set of Avon Roadrunners. IRC has a set but I've read some bad reviews. All suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Something else to keep in mind is that all 130 width tires are not actually 130mm wide (and this goes for any size, not just 130). The actual installed widths vary by manufacturer and tire model, enough so that one 130 tire may rub the chain, while a different make of 130 tire may clear it just fine. Dennis Kirk is good at listing the actual installed widths and heights for many of the tires they sell, so that can be a reference.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
IRC has a set but I've read some bad reviews. All suggestions welcomed.
I ran IRC Durotour front and rear on my CM400C for about 3500 miles, they were a used set I picked up already mounted on tube-type comstars for $100 off Craigslist, they still had their casting nubs and were barely worn in, the seller said he only ran them for 2 tanks of gas, so they were fairly new.

I rode highway, back roads, dirt roads and gravel in wet and dry weather. Stopping power was great, they were tough to lock up even with new metallic EBC sintered metallic pads and shoes and an 11mm master cylinder up front. They gripped the road really well, at 32psi they were perfect, at 33 handling got twitchy, and at 31 they would understeer too much.
Best set of tires I've ever ridden on. But my experience is limited to wearing out a set of Pilot Activ on a 750 Nighthawk. I never fully trusted the Pilot Activs but the Durotours were very easy to trust to handle really well.
I'd pay retail for them if I had to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ended up with Kenda challlengers, 120/90 rear and 100/90. It rides well, but the front tire is obviously pinched on the too narrow rim which makes it about a 1/4 inch narrower than it was off the rim and results in a different radius. While it handles fine, I have 1 inch chicken strips despite leaning pretty hard into mountain roads. Next time, I'll find a 90/90-18 tire in a different brand; Kenda didn't have them in any tire. I was running a 3.0 inch Dura that came on the bike, and this definitely rides better on bumpy pavement and feels more secure at higher speeds (70mph) on the interstate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts