Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm wondering what kinds of tires were/are common on the scramblers, namely the cl350. I'm going to be putting together a scrambler with kind of a vintage style, solo seat, 60s Honda style paint, and generally slimmed down a bit. I've seen lots of old sramblers of different makes with knobby rear tires and would like to get one for mine. I like the looks and I do lots of back roads and dirt roads so it would work great.
Here's what I have now:

It's a Swallow brand trials tire, but is very old and I don't want to run it. That name doesn't exist anymore.
Here's an example of what I have in mind from a motorcycle classics article on a BSA Victor:

When I look at the old Honda brochures, I don't see any scrambers with those kinds of tires. They look like TT100's or something similar:

So did scramblers never come with trials type rear tires? It seems whenever I see old scrambler heaps for sale at swap meets, they have a trials type rear tire and a ribbed front tire.
Are there any tires in that style being made today that would work? The closest I've found so far is a dual sport tire, something like this IRC TR-1
:

IRC also makes a dual sport tire called the GP-1 that looks similar. Would these be a good choice? And if so, what would be a good combination for front and rear tire?
1. A trials/dual sport rear with a ribbed front?
2. A trials/dual sport rear with a block pattern front (Dunlop K70)
3. Trials/ dual sport tires both front and rear?
4. Some other combo?

I'm interested in knowing the handling characteristics of any of these combos. Again, I do lots of back road riding, but I want something that I can run down the highway with occasionally.
Any info would be much appreciated!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Your questions are so specific that only someone who has used/tried the identical tires could give you the answer.
Apparently, no one has yet.....
My OPINION is that either of the IRC pairings would work, but not having ridden them, I can't really recommend you do so......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here are more generalized questions regarding scrambler tires:
What are those tires like on the BSA I pictured above? Can you still buy them? Who makes them, and what would they call them?
These are what I often see old scrambler wearing, but they have manufacturers like Swallow and Sears (seriously), which don't seem to be in the tire business anymore. Maybe nobody puts tires like that on their scramblers anymore.
The original picture from the above brochure shows a scrambler with what look like universal tread, Dunlop TT100 style or similar. Maybe that's what I should be running. I have K70s on my CB500/4 and I really like them for my area (lots of dirt roads around here).
Anyway, what are you guys running on your scramblers? "Trials," "dual sport," normal street tires? Ultimately I'd like a somewhat knobby tread for dirt roads and mild off-roading.
I was recommended a pair of Bridgestone Trailwings, TW39 and TW26, which I might just try. This fellow seemed to like them on his Scrambler:

from this thread on advrider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535304

So anyway, I may end up with those tires, which look like they'd handle the dirt pretty well. I like the look of them too. Part of what I'm trying to do is capture that old school, 60s scrambler look, something like the BSA and other bikes like that.
Thanks!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That style on the BSA Victor rear is called a "Trials" tire.... (or trials universal)
You have already shown us pix of that style... The IRC TR-1's....
The CL models were equipped with tires more suitable for the roads but,
several of the SL models had "trials" type tires....
I run full "knobbies" on my dirt bikes, street tires on my street bikes, and race compounds on my racers...
I try not to recommend a specific type/style/pattern/or compound as I don't know your riding style or skill level....
Ultimately, you must research and make your own choices in this area.....Asking about tires is like asking which oil is best to run...Opinions Vary!.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! "Trials" tires are what the BSA has, then. See, that clears up some of the mystery for me, as I wasn't sure the IRC TR-1 tires I pictured were indeed the same type of tread. And yes, the scramblers look like they did indeed come with more streetable tires new. So I guess all those old scramblers I see with blocky trials looking tires must have been retro-fits, which is perfectly feasible given the number of years and owners involved.
I know I need to make a decision and go with it, but I was hoping for a little clarification on tire types that may be typical to this type of bike. I am not sure yet what I'll do. I may try a ribbed front with a trials rear, since I've seen plenty of examples of this and i can find those tires in the right sizes. The Bridgestone Trail Wings aren't too expensive, though, so maybe I'll get a set and try those!
We'll see. I am nowhere near ready to fit tires to the bike yet. As of today this project is still a pile of parts and some dreams. Probably the most fun stage!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tires are a fairly personal choice, I think, depending on your riding style. I have Shinko 244s on my CL350, and I do mostly road with some trail. I am a fairly conservative rider on the road, though, so the knobby tires haven't been a problem. Not so great in the rain, but I don't go out much when its raining, because I'm a wimp. These came with the bike, and were new, so I figured I'd try them and see. I've put maybe 1,000 miles on them, no complaints other than handling on wet roads. They have good bite off road.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... -Tire.aspx

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have run through a pair of the above pictured Shinko's on my Kawi KLR650. I got about 5,000 on the rear and most of the miles (I'll be honest) were on street. I have even done 300 mile street rides on them. I am being completely honest in my opinion that these tires actually FEEL no different than street tires on dry pavement. I'm no racer but I do scrape pegs frequently. I will warn you that these tires are a copy (I think) of Kenda K270's which I have also ran a pair of. The kenda's are rather squirrelly on the street. See the side lugs on the Shinko's? They are kinda bridged together so that when you lean the lugs don't flex or give that riding on marbles feeling that the Kendas have. They rock on dirt and gravel and will even get you through a little mud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts