Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 1978 Hawk II with 22K Miles on it and has been mostly in storage for 15 years. The tires are from 2000 so I think they should be replaced eventhough they appear to be in decent shape.

What would be good replacement tires for the '78 Honda Hawk II? Do they require tubes are are they tubeless?

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Depends.

They are tubeless. Beyond that the recommendations are going to be right up there with those you'll receive if you ask what oil to use.

Do you want a tire that looks "original"?

Do you drive around town and have little old ladies honking at you all the time or do you scream through the twisties with the pegs dragging?

Some of the folks here will have very well thought out and valid suggestions. Your local sickle shop or tire dealer can also be a good source of advice.

Pick some you like and be happy. :D

PS: Please read this and update your information. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Yes, you can run the Comstars tubeless. Mine came that way on both the CM400 and the GL500 so I stayed that way.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I use those same Comstars on a 450 DOHC - but I used tubes anyway, just felt safer to me.
And as I recall, the ones I used had tubes in them when I got them.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used standard weight tubes front and rear with my 80 comstars. Didn't want to chance a leaking rim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll have to try it next go around then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It took alot of cleaning up in the rim though, seems the tube metal stem causes galvanic corrosion over time :( Oh well. A tube is probably less work to be honest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts