Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have search through the search engine but failed to find precise answers about max/limit tires size for my CL350K4 project.

I know that manuf. tire size are
3.00-19 in front
3.50-18 in rear.

I started my project by searching the right modern dual purpose tires for my bike. I have identified several prospects but of course, they don't do them in the exact size of 1972 era!
Since I am going into a this direction:
[attachment=3:1c1bukfd]2117_26_09_09_10_26_06.JPG.png[/attachment:1c1bukfd]
[attachment=0:1c1bukfd]g5-military-tan.jpg[/attachment:1c1bukfd]
I want to place dual purpose tires like this one:
[attachment=1:1c1bukfd]705-series.jpg[/attachment:1c1bukfd]
A Shinko type 705 tires.

question: I wonder if the clearance will be sufficient if tire sizes are:
110/80-19 front
120/80-18 rear

If you have installed dual purpose tires on your bike, let me know about your choices..I will look here in Canada if available.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That tread pattern is very similar to the Avon Distanzia and let me tell you that the Avon Distanzia's are pretty darn slippery on anything but pavement. I'd call them more of a 5% dirt - 95% street tread.. I have them on my supermoto and can't stand the rear tires unpredictability..

Mud = NO
Green grass = NO
Dry loose dirt = so so..
Hard pack dirt = slippery but doable..
Gravel = watch your ass with any dual sport tire, let alone the Distanzias..
Pavement = ok, but not like a dedicated road tire..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Avon Distanza are way too much expensive anyway!

I don't even get close to that price for my BMW !! I ride Maxxis presa-detour and they are a hit for price quality match ....darn they don't make it for my new bike size... :cry:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I can almost guarantee the metric sizes you chose will be too big.....
3" converts to 76.2mm, so an 80/80 would be closest to stock size (width).... a 90/90 would be roughly a 3.50" tire, a 110/is over 4" wide.
You may have room for one size increase under the front fender, so a 90/ or possibly a 100/ are about max up front....... A 110/ rear will be real close to rubbing the swingarm and chain but should fit..... a 120/will probably interfere.... I could be wrong, but it might be an expensive "trial-fit"...

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
you may want to look at the Kenda K761- it has the look you are after and they are dirt cheap- bout 50 bucks each at tiresunlimited.com

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Never mind- I just looked up that shinko tire- must be a new one, I hadn't seen it before, looks good, Affordable too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some of you are probably aware about "how" to convert tire size into real measurement...

a mathematical formula must exist so you could take a real tire size and figure the diameter of the tire?

ha! here:
Let's start with the first series of numbers, 130/90 16, otherwise known as the metric designation. This is the most popular nomenclature today and it's practically a standard in the automotive world.
[attachment=1:j2lk858c]tiresection.jpg[/attachment:j2lk858c]

Click to enlarge The 130 designates the tire's width in millimetres, measured in a straight line through the tire from one edge of the tire's tread to the other. The second number, 90, is a bit trickier to understand. This represents the aspect ratio between the tire's width and its height, or how tall a tire is in relationship to its width. Simply put, the higher this number is, the taller the tire will be. In this case, the tire is 90 percent as tall as its width, or 117mm.

The last number, 16, is the tire's rim diameter expressed in inches.

The width on some tires may be expressed in inches as well, but usually the aspect ratio is left off.

a simple rule of 3 could bring the 117mm,

if 130=100%
then X =90% X equal: (90% X130mm) divided per 100% you get 117mm

[attachment=0:j2lk858c]tire.JPG[/attachment:j2lk858c]

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gs1327 said:
you may want to look at the Kenda K761- it has the look you are after and they are dirt cheap- bout 50 bucks each at tiresunlimited.com
Yep ! this is one option...And Kenda are stuff I can get here in Canada. Wasn't sure about the Shinko..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts