Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

Just picked up an '83 CM450E and am beginning my scrambler/brat tracker transition. I have the stock spoked wheels and am trying to find an aggressive tire for the rims. I believe the front is 3.50S18 and the back is 4.60S16. I really like the Shinko 700s but can't find them in a 16". Any suggestions? Will TKs fit? I don't want to change wheels so something that would fit the stock rims. I'm happy going a bit wider too if they'll fit.

Just got the bike today, runs great and very clean. Powder coating/paint/fabrication/seat/pipes coming soon.

IMG_0084.JPG

Thanks!

Jake

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Metric conversion is 120/90/16 and 100/90/18. A street 130 can just barely fit the rear with a modification to the rear brake stay. I would not go wider with off road tires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
All -

Just picked up an '83 CM450E and am beginning my scrambler/brat tracker transition. I have the stock spoked wheels and am trying to find an aggressive tire for the rims. I believe the front is 3.50S18 and the back is 4.60S16. I really like the Shinko 700s but can't find them in a 16". Any suggestions? Will TKs fit? I don't want to change wheels so something that would fit the stock rims. I'm happy going a bit wider too if they'll fit.

Just got the bike today, runs great and very clean. Powder coating/paint/fabrication/seat/pipes coming soon.

View attachment 195554

Thanks!

Jake
Hi Jake, there are several threads about these tires sizes going right now. Man, that bike is pretty. Almost a shame to modify it. I have an 82 cm450c that I'm considering doing the same thing to but I'm torn. My bike isn't as nice as yours, though, so I'm less worried about creating a monster.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How many miles do you have on that beauty?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I've scoured the tire threads and it looks like there isn't much out there for the 16/18 setup. I'll probably have to go with a Bridgestone TW40 rear and a Shinko 244 front. Going to keep looking though.

As far as the bike, I agree it's a gem and was garaged by both owners and kept out of the rain (that's a feat here in Vancouver!) It actually had collector plates on it as all the parts are original (I have the stock bars in my shed). I set out looking for a clean CM and lucked out on this one as it's the first bike I looked at. The few after it didn't hold a candle to this one and I ended up getting it for $1350. Honestly, it doesn't need much of anything done to it. Runs smooth with just a little popping when I let off the gass, not sure but almost sounds like the pipes or baffles? It's the metric setup and has 100,000 km on it, so a bit high but the previous owner put 40k riding to/from work on it. The PO winterized it each year for the past 4 years and kept a trickle charger on it.

I was originally going to re-paint or powder coat the frame but I'm not sure it even needs it. I almost feel guilty modifying it but I really like the brat tracker look. No pitting on any of the chrome, however, I plan to pull it and blackout the wheels/forks. Maybe some touch up on the engine. The tank has a small ding and needs fresh paint. I plan to wrap the pipes from the headers back to reverse cones. I'll also chop the frame and put a custom seat on it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'll throw this out there. The 1978/79 CB400T1 had the spoke wheels and drum brakes like the E model. However it used and 18" rear and 19" front. Tire sizes were 3.60S19 front and 4.10S18 rear, metric 90/90/19 and 100 or 110/90/18.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to switch out to a bigger rear wheel/tire for a better dirt look and lesser cruiser feel. If I could find an 18" laced rear, how would that affect the balance and ride geometry with one on both front and back? I assume I'd have to get longer springs in the rear too. How hard is it to find an 18" rear?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
1978/79 CB400 T1, has the same rear brake, axle, etc. The rear shocks are longer than the CM shocks, 330mm vs. 320mm, for more clearance. You can't use those shocks since they are clevis to clevis and the CM has eye to clevis type.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1978/79 CB400 T1, has the same rear brake, axle, etc. The rear shocks are longer than the CM shocks, 330mm vs. 320mm, for more clearance. You can't use those shocks since they are clevis to clevis and the CM has eye to clevis type.
There is one of those on Ebay and I have thought about buying it but opted for relacing a new rim instead.

Now I wonder if I made the right decision ... ?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I had the Shinko 705 tires on my Bonneville. Really great tires on and off road. They don't have a 16" option, but if you switch to the 18" rear wheel, you'd be set up nicely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know if a 4.60 will fit on the front? I know it’s fat and the 90/90-18 translates to a 3.50. I’m pulling the fender off and just want to know if it will fit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It's way too wide for the rim, for that size tire you need to be using a 2.5 or 2.75 rim. 4.60 is roughly the same as a 120/80 tire, might squeeze in between the sliders but I don't think so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's way too wide for the rim, for that size tire you need to be using a 2.5 or 2.75 rim. 4.60 is roughly the same as a 120/80 tire, might squeeze in between the sliders but I don't think so.
Thanks for the quick reply! I’m going to order the 120/90-16 TW40 rear and the 3.50-18 Shinko 244 for the front.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Metric conversion is 120/90/16 and 100/90/18. A street 130 can just barely fit the rear with a modification to the rear brake stay. I would not go wider with off road tires.
What kind of brake modification are you talking? Looking at a Metzeler 130/90-16 tire for my CM450 rear replacement. Kind of wanted a wider rear tire but don't want to fall into a major surgery situation.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The rear brake stay needs to move outboard of it's mounting bracket on the swing arm. You put a spacer in where the stay sat between the 2 bracket arms and mount the brake stay outside the bracket. Fairly simple mod.
I used the Metzlers for @10,000 miles and I wasn't happy with them so I tossed perfectly good tires and replaced them with Michelin Commanders, love those tires. Problems I had with the ME888's were out of round or broken belt internally causing the bike to oscillate fore/aft at low speeds and after @8K on them they started feeling greasy going thru hard corners, lack of grip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts