Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm wondering if some of you guys with lots of experience out there would be willing to pass along any tips/tricks you may have acquired in changing tires by hand with tire irons. I have done it a few times, sometimes I get lucky and the tire comes off in minutes, other times their is lots of cursing and the tire just doesnt want to cooperate. What I have done in the past is simply use 3 tire irons and some plastic or slick cardboard from a milk jug as rim protection and have at it, taking small bites. I have also had some luck putting the tire in the sun for awhile before trying to pull it off. These don't always work well and I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have changed tires since the mid 60's and you pretty well got it figured out, longer irons will give you more leverage, but some tires go easy some are a PITA, such is life

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
One thing I do is inflate the new tube a bit before installing it which seems to make it easier to get inside the tire and keeps it away from the irons a bit. I did learn one today though. The milk carton plastic is a great idea.
Thanks, Don

·
Registered
175 Posts
This task is much easier on a mounting stand - it can be hell without one. Plastic milk bottle piece on the rim is a great idea, especially with alloy rims. Check the rim for true before mounting. "Ping" the spokes & tighten if necessary. Ask your auto parts store for rubber lubricant - makes mounting Much easier. Once the tyre is on the rim, you can wipe it off. Putting talcum powder on the tube makes it easier to put it into the casing and helps it to distribute itself evenly when inflated. Inflate the tyre to seat the bead, then let the air out and re-inflate. If it isn't mounted evenly, sometimes deflating it most of the way and rolling the bike in a straight line (don't turn the bike with the tyre soft), then re-inflating will even it out. Sometimes it won't. Breaking the bead and re-positioning the tyre on the rim might be necessary - what a nuisance, but better than riding with an uneven tyre.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
This is a pretty good set of videos on tire changing for people looking to learn the basics.

Part 1

Part 2

One thing that should be said about streetbike tires, is that it helps you alot if you keep the bead of the tire 180 degrees away from the side you're working on, down inside the low spot on the rim. Also, having three tire irons is a must in my opinion. You can leave two holding the tire and use the third to get another bite farther around the tire. Taking the center one out and moving it to another spot.

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts