Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the timing on my '76 Gold Wing. I've figured out the problem and thought I would mention it here since it might be applicable.

On the Gold Wing, you can set the timing independently for both sets of points. In fact the procedure is to set the gap on both points first then set the timing. On the Twins, you set the gap on the left then set the timing on the left and ultimately use the gap setting for the right to finalize the timing on the right cylinder. That's a simplistic explanation.

The problem I'm having on the Gold Wing is that I can not get the bike to time statically on the left side. I run out of adjustment on the point plate. This could happen on the Honda Twins as well. I thought about it and couldn't come up with a reason why this would be other than maybe the timing belt was off a tooth but that didn't make any sense either.

After some research, I found that it appears that the rubbing blocks on the points them selves are worn down. This has the effect of delaying the point where the point cam makes contact with the point itself and starts to open.

How this applies to the Honda Twins is this. If you find that your point gap on the right side is larger than it's suppose to be in order to time the right side correctly then maybe the plate is having to be rotated too far to get the timing on the left side correct due to worn point block.

For a more thorough explanation, check out this link.

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/vie ... php?t=6694

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Sounds right to me - often observed on most bikes with points.........
You could have found that answer from one of us here, but I'm not surprised the Necked Wing guys knew it too.
All that matters is that you found an answer........

Incidentally, your points are the same part as a 450, as I recall.....

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, same part. It helps to put a small bit of lube on the cottonwool rubber on the 450 or a bit of breaker cam lube. AC Delco supplies the stuff under their name, others probably doo, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts