Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was not idling well and I feel that the springs on the advancer were stretched. I know that some have shortened them but are they available as a replacement item? When I look on the Western Hills Honda parts fiche it doesnt show them as a part that can be purchased, they only show the whole mechanism.
Thanks, Don

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I seem to recall them being a discontinued part, but I'm not positive on that. I've seen whole advance units go on Ebay for good prices. Even a couple NOS ones here and there..

Experts???????????

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Springs are NOT available separately.... Advance units are expensive... Be careful IF altering the springs.....If they were NOT "stretched", your ignition won't advance anywhere near properly.....

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already did alter them some and the idle is great now but I do feel that they are not advancing the way they should. I have been watching the NOS ones on Ebay and that is probably the way I will go. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
dlslick said:
I already did alter them some and the idle is great now but I do feel that they are not advancing the way they should. I have been watching the NOS ones on Ebay and that is probably the way I will go. Thanks, Don

Check it with a strobe, you'll see whether or not it's working ok.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
didn't somebody post an alternative to the cb450 advancer springs from another make/model bike. any thoughts on this? i'm searching ebay hi and low with no luck. i had found a new unit for $50 shipped(ouch), but they just refunded my money telling me they NOW cannot find the part in their stockroom. ugh. i messed with my springs a little(tightened slightly) and it seemed to make a difference but i feel it could be better. i'm still occasionally getting some very slow to come down RPM's when stopping. anyone?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
didn't somebody post an alternative to the cb450 advancer springs from another make/model bike. any thoughts on this? i'm searching ebay hi and low with no luck. i had found a new unit for $50 shipped(ouch), but they just refunded my money telling me they NOW cannot find the part in their stockroom. ugh. i messed with my springs a little(tightened slightly) and it seemed to make a difference but i feel it could be better. i'm still occasionally getting some very slow to come down RPM's when stopping. anyone?

The ones at Mikes XS shop appear to be almost identical.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up putting an NOS advancer on and it made a huge difference IMHO. I had shortened the springs one loop while I was waiting for the new part to come in and that worked too. The bike idles better now and the power seems to come on with RPMs like it should.
Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts