Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the chain on a CB350 and am trying to determine if the sprockets need to be replaced as well. What do you guys think?

front:
IMG_1304.jpg

rear:
IMG_1305.jpg

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I would replace the sprockets w/ the new chain,but you could just throw a cheap chain on there and get a season's worth of wear on it and then replace the chain and sprockets;that's what I would do if i was going to run that bike in the Fall,Winter & Spring as transportation.

That rear sprocket is worn.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
They look a little worn, but not too bad. I'd just clean them up and put a new chain on it. I NEVER replace sprockets every time I replace the chain. On a well-maintained street bike with steel sprockets, a standard chain will wear out much faster than the sprockets. Just examine the sprockets from time to time and replace them if the teeth start showing signs of hooking.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
You can get a set of sprockets and chain for under $100. Why mess around.... Not the place to go way cheap.

$82 plus Shipping: Chain and Sprocket Kit for 1968-1973 Honda CB350 - Power-Barn

Shop around, the prices go all over the place....

My Chain cost $24 and was not the least expensive.

A new chain set, kept lubed, will last a long time on these bikes. Worth the cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bilbikek411, Dabba, 83XLX, Mydlyfkryzis & Finnigan,

Thank you guys for the responses! I thought over all of the advice and to save a few $ I'm going to throw a cheap chain on for now, then replace everything at once when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts