Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Been lurking for a bit. Just started on rebuilding my fathers old 200. Things going slowly with a few hiccups. Firstly trying to get screws out that someones mutilated. Then this Head1.jpg Head2.jpg
Looks like someone forgot to adjust the cam chain. This is one of the reasons for the rebuild as the top end was quite noisy. Oh well time to source some parts, head, rod, rubber and cam chain. Surprisingly the rest of the head is in good condition. Next issue is trying to get the cylinders off the crankcase.Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Removing the cylinders of crankcase was simple. After you remove the one bolt, just slip a prybar into one of the slats and hit with a mallet to pry it up. Then just lift.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi stdigger,
The head damage is common on these 200's and I've just repaired one with similar damage. If you can find a good aluminium welder all is not lost, ask him the build up the damaged area with new ally and then re-drill following the original hole. A clean up with a file will have it looking as good as new.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi stdigger,
The head damage is common on these 200's and I've just repaired one with similar damage. If you can find a good aluminium welder all is not lost, ask him the build up the damaged area with new ally and then re-drill following the original hole. A clean up with a file will have it looking as good as new.
I was thinking of that. I've got a person I know that tig and mig welds alloys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. Took the head over to mates machine shop and he's going to repair it with some kind of epoxy steel. I'll post some pics when I get it back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just an update. Took the head over to mates machine shop and he's going to repair it with some kind of epoxy steel. I'll post some pics when I get it back.
Personally I wouldn't go down the epoxy steel route as it only sticks the epoxy to the original metal and if the cam chain manages to catch hold of it again it could rip the whole lot off and dump it into crankcase. I would stick to aluminium weld as this actually melts and fuses the metal together making it a one piece head again. Just my opinion though.
Regards,
Glyn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts