Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, its finally time for a new battery on my scrambler.

i said i would spend the money this time around.

i'm looking at the ones at Sparck - but the range in prices are mind boggling.

anyone have thoughts and opinions on what they are running?

thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'd just go for a Yuasa. Cheap enough and does the job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got an AGM battery in my 450 NightHawk. They are a little more expensive, but lighter in weight than conventional lead-acid batteries and do not require water. I keep it on a C-Tek battery maintainer since I don't use my Honda regularly.
So far, so good.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Buy either an AGM or gel battery. More expensive than a wet cell battery, but no maintenance and they hold a charge and last MUCH longer than the cheap-o ones.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
How is the charging system? do you use a tender? How long did the last battery last? I got two years out of the lead acid on the 450. It did take a lot of maintenance to keep the electrolyte level right. I bought a AGM for about $50. A guy at work has 10 years on an AGM in a BMW.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently bought an AGM for my 450. After installation it sat in the garage for 4 months. I tested it and it still had 13.45 volts. I can't find the link but it was the all yellow battery. I think it's called Motoplat? Something like that. I would never use a lead acid battery anymore with the new AGM technology. I don't miss the acid leaks all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
That would be Mottobatt Herb.
Yes I highly recommend this battery.
I am on year 5 and never a problem.

Reactions: Herb591

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Last year i picked up a Scorpion AGM from https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/honda/ I bought it online July2nd Saturday, received it July 5th Tuesday with their free shipping. I had to pick it up at my Post Office, but out of the box it was 13.9 volts and fired up my CM400 without topping off charge. AGM's are sealed maintenance free, so no filling or keeping filled which was a major plus. I was lazy and left it in my bike outdoors all last winter without damaging it, and during that couple of 70 degree days we had in January (north of Boston) it fired right up without hesitation. And it was $65 sized for a CM400, not cheap but far from high end, and I didn't have to upgrade my charging system to keep from frying it. But better than that they were a good company to deal with and that really stands out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got a Motobatt too. No complaints here, and I have to crank my bike quite a few times in the cold high altitude where I'm at right now.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I am going to go with an AGM from Motobatt and spend the extra money. I am swearing off cheap acid batteries after my vent hose popped off and leaked acid on my frame and swingarm, destroying the paint!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not sure if the 450 battery is the same as the 360, but Motobatt's MB12U is $70 on Amazon. Well worth it for mine.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Personally I'm done with every battery company except for MotoBatt. Excellent product, good service and they pretty much out last anything else. I can say I did have one failure on a 2 week old one but that's 1 out of 7 I've bought and it was exchanged immediately, no questions asked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts