Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a procedure on how to do this properly? The manual I have is very vague and crappy. Bike is a 1975 CB360

Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Its a no-brainer...just loosen the lock-nut and the tensioner bolt and the spring-loaded push-bar inside the lower crankcase will take care of the rest. Then torque the tensioner bolt and lock-nut and ya golden.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the bike need to be running?

·
Registered
282 Posts
there's a bit of engine rattle so i thought i would adjust the tension on my '73 CB350.

from the manual:
"Adjustment must be made when the four valves are closed completely and the tappets are free. this position occurs 90 degrees A.T.D.C. on the compression stroke of the left side cylinder. Rotate the generator rotor counterclockwise until index mark on the stator is 90 degrees A.T.D.C. (after 90 degree LT mark). If the valves are still lifted, rotate the generator rotor 360 degrees and realign same above......" the rest seems crystal clear.

I've never done any timing work but the adjustment sounds relatively easy. Is there a marker for 90 degrees counterclockwise from LT for when the four valves are closed. and where am i looking to see if the four valves are closed?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I don't believe there is a marker for 90* just need to eyeball it. The alternator wirings will give you a good guide. As for the valves, just remove all four of the covers and you should be able to wiggle them a bit if they are all closed. If not, rotate 360 and check.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts