Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My throttle is not snapping back. I tried lubing the cable and when the slides are out of the carb bodies with the springs attached I get the snap back but when I reinsert them back in the carb I get no snap back on my throttle. Any ideas on what's going on here?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
What bike are you working on? What carbs? That may help with the answers.

My first guess is your throttle cable is binding somewhere. Is it routed properly and not kinked somewhere?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Well you also mentioned that this only happens with the slides installed, did you check for any obstruction that would cause the slide to get stuck?
Did you clean the carbs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thoroughly cleaned the carbs and the slides slide in and out with no problem. I guess I should mention that when I bought the bike the throttle was completely stuck because of the slides but once I soaked the carbs in cleaner the slides were freed up and now the throttle moves but like I said, no snap back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dealt with something similar, my throttle did not roll closed smoothly at the hand grip. Lubing the old cables helped, but I ultimately ended up replacing the cables and re-lubing the throttle sleeve to fix the issue. Although it sounds like there's more going on in your case.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
The carb tops are right and left handed, just like the slides, are they on the right side?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they are but I'll double check. Went ahead and ordered new slides and springs. Hopefully that will fix my problem but we'll see. A new throttle cable that will fit is $45 on cmsnl.com plus the ridiculous shipping cost they charge so I'm trying to avoid that. The springs and slides were about $18 on cmsnl but the shipping was about $38. Couldn't find those parts anywhere else.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Could be the grip rubbing on the end of the bar, or rubbing on the twist grip housing?

+1 on that, I've seen it many times when folks replace their grips....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could be, I'll check that too. There is a little metal tab that fits into my handle bars that is part of the throttle housing but I'll see if I can slide the grip out a little from the throttle tube.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Could be, I'll check that too. There is a little metal tab that fits into my handle bars that is part of the throttle housing but I'll see if I can slide the grip out a little from the throttle tube.
Right - you can't move the housing, have to break the grip loose and move it out far enough so that it's flange doesn't contact the housing.
Best way to deal with grips is compressed air and a "needle-nose" tip on the hose. Point the tip to the edge of bar/grip interface (by the housing) and blast it - you can pop it loose and "walk" it right off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.