Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been working on restoring a 1974 CB450 for several months now. I've got it running quite well now, however, I have been getting some popping on the right side and the right carb doesn't seem to respond as well to adjustments. A friend of mine suggested that maybe there was a vacuum leak on the throttle shaft and sure enough, there is.

I have checked the parts fiche on these carbs and I don't see any seals/o-rings or anything that appear to go in there. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm thinking of maybe placing an o-ring to stop the leak.... would there be any problem with this?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
None I can think of immediately........... :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did someone mention slathering some grease arond the shafts to seal the vac leak? It seems I read that here. Or maybe that was temporary and just to verify that there was a leak there?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Likely this week we'll get into them and see what we've got! This is what she looks like at the moment (moto morini 125h tank):

I'm having the seat reshaped and recovered.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
That's an interesting looking tank and seat combination. What are you using for headlight mounting brackets?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MNellis said:
That's an interesting looking tank and seat combination. What are you using for headlight mounting brackets?
Mike -

Those look like the same fork ears I put on my fo-fitty - off EBay for about $30, as I recall.
Polished aluminum, nice look......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
MNellis said:
Mike -

Those look like the same fork ears I put on my fo-fitty - off EBay for about $30, as I recall.

Cool, I won't use them for my current project but they would work nice for something else I might do in the future.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike was actually purchased from a guy around 1990 and he and his son sorta brought it back to life. It was sold around '91-'92 to the guy who I eventually bought it from, this past January. From about 1992 to January this poor bike basically set and never ran. Because of a "title situation" I was actually able to contact the son who did the restore back in '90. That was pretty cool, because then I got to learn a little about this bike's history. It was apparently in pretty rough shape when they bought it. He told me what the tail light and the headlight brackets were from an Ossa. The seat was also recovered. Personally, I think it looks like crap, so the seat is being reshaped and recovered, hopefully will make it flow with the tank better. The reason it has a different tank is because the stocker was completely unusable. It had been left half full of gas for 15 years. I could not recover it. A friend had this tank, never used, from an old moto morini and offered it to me. It is a little longer than stock, so the seat needs some tailoring in the front too. It should have more of an old school look with the pleats and such. They also put JC Whitney mufflers and speedo and he thought the bars were also JC Whitney. The mufflers have rusted and maybe at some point I'll replace them.

this is how the bike looked the day I bought it:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MNellis said:
tbpmusic said:
MNellis said:
Mike -

Cool, I won't use them for my current project but they would work nice for something else I might do in the future.
The problem with the brackets is they don't fit the headlight bucket well AT ALL. AND, the stock 450 headlight won't fit... more like a CB350. I learned this the hard way when I bought a used 450 bucket off EBAY only to find very quickly, it was too large. I don't recommend them personally.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
amycyclenut said:
The problem with the brackets is they don't fit the headlight bucket well AT ALL. AND, the stock 450 headlight won't fit... more like a CB350. I learned this the hard way when I bought a used 450 bucket off EBAY only to find very quickly, it was too large. I don't recommend them personally.
They'd probably work better with the older K2-K4 headlights, which are smaller.

However, I had no problem with the aftermarket 7" headlight I used..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts