Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me out :oops:
Being new to motorbikes I assume the throttle should return (twist clockwise) when let go?
Is this the springs in the carbs pulling it back or should there be a return spring in the handlebar control?
Mine doesn't return... The cable is brand new and feels good in terms of being free of friction...

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
The return spring is on the carbs. If the grip is not snaping shut (clockwise/forwards) you'll need to adjust the slack out of it at each end of the cable. If that doesnt do it, then theres something amiss with the carbs.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
On your 200, the springs are inside each individual carb... Use the "fingertip" method to assure the carbs are synched while you MANUALLY roll the throttle on AND OFF....Also check that the throttle sleeve (tube) itself and/or grip isn't binding on either the handlebars or it's housing.....(Some "cheaper" bars aren't perfectly round and/or have "lumps" in the chroming....I generally sand the chrome off the bars under (in) the "tube" area and use a dab of light grease.....)
Improper Cable ROUTING, OR slack adjustment at the carb tops (cable synchronization)can cause one (or both) of the secondary cables to come out (at the splitter), and that will "hold" the cable from full return......
It's probably going to be something simple to fix.......Check these things and let us know....It's a safety issue if the carbs don't return (fully close) when released...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Steve is pointing you right.
CB200 is extraordinarily sensitive to throttle cable routing. Too short, too long, or not in the right place will cause big problems, went through it myself.....

Or (and this happens on any bike), sometimes when a new grip is installed it can bind against the switch housing because you pushed it in too far. This just happened to Mike Nellis not too long ago........

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses. Awesome!
Yeah I kinda feel like an idiot... just the grip rubbing on the controller. It's ok as long as I learn from it I guess!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. Just received my new throttle cable from bangkok... had to wait 3 weeks for shipping. Dimensions are identical to the original cable. Throttle won't return all the way and it's driving me crazy. First off, what do you mean by "finger method"? I was listening carefully for the slides to seat when rolling off the throttle and they sound synced after some slight adjustment on the carb screws. I tried spraying some WD-40 into the cable housing, silicon spray on the bars under the grip. I messed with all the adjusters on both ends... still, the throttle won't return all the way. I've been searching for a close up picture of throttle cable routing, but can't find one. I think it's supposed to go between the headlight ears and then down under the rubber gas tank knobs, and under the tank... the splitter on the cable is right above the horn. i think that's correct, but then i can't see how to route it after the splitter. I know it's been a year since the last post so i'm not expecting a quick reply. Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts