Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1974 Honda CB360. I just replaced my stock handle bars with clubman handlebars. Everything was running perfectly before I changed them but now the throttle and clutch dont "snap" back upon release. They just kind of slowly return. Has anyone else had similar issues and could offer some help? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Grettle said:
I have a 1974 Honda CB360. I just replaced my stock handle bars with clubman handlebars. Everything was running perfectly before I changed them but now the throttle and clutch dont "snap" back upon release. They just kind of slowly return. Has anyone else had similar issues and could offer some help? I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm guessing you didn't change the length of the clutch and throttle cables when you swapped the bars. Those handlebars are much lower and probably need about 3" less length than the stock cables. With that said, you'll probably have to try and re-route the cables to to keep them from binding due to excessively tight bends.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Also, I had a similar issue when I swapped handlebars on my 400. Turned out the new grip was touching the end of the bar and was preventing the throttle from easily snapping back. Adjusted it and it was fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the help guys. I didnt adjust any of the cables. I had read around on different forums and from what I had read nobody said anythhing about shortening the cables. Maybe I just didnt read enough... Im pretty new at this stuff. Are there instruction on how to shorten them? Im just debating doing it myself or taking it into a shop. I just dont really know where to start. Again thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Grettle said:
I appreciate the help guys. I didnt adjust any of the cables. I had read around on different forums and from what I had read nobody said anythhing about shortening the cables. Maybe I just didnt read enough... Im pretty new at this stuff. Are there instruction on how to shorten them? Im just debating doing it myself or taking it into a shop. I just dont really know where to start. Again thank you for your help.
If you're new at this then shortening the cables yourself is probably out of the question. You would probably have better luck trying to find cables from another bike that might already be shorter but that's not easy either.

A lot of people have added clubman bars and had success just re-routing the cables. You'll probably have to remove the tank but get creative and you should get the cables you have to work assuming they are in good condition. Try taking the throttle housing off the bar and verify that it feels right when not mounted on the handle bar. If it's ok, then it's just a matter of finding a route for the cable that keeps the tight bends to a minimum.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
They can be re-routed to function perfectly, as Mike said, if they're in good condition. Be sure to hang the cables up and lube them the best you can internally. Letting gravity help you lube them.

As a last resort, you can call up MotionPro and have them build you a set of cables to any length you specify..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So last night I tried the rerouting and I think that this will work. I just couldnt find the right way to reroute it. Has anyone done this before that might have photos or an explanation of how they ran theirs. Its a 74 Honda CB360. Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts