Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an old Honda twin (mainly CB350/450s) and stumbled onto a running/riding '78 CB400T for $1,500. This is about $1,000 less than the cheapest running CB350 in the area. All I could find online is that they are a 360 degree crank, use the engine as a stressed member, and have electronic ignition. Are these bikes any good? How do they stack up against the older CB350/450? Do they still feel like a classic bike? They seem to be odd little bikes, and I can't find much information on them.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi "John",

Find that exact bike on CMSNL.com for the exploded views...

Post exact details so we know exactly which model it is.....

They all have "family faults" but need to know which model it is....

At least you have heard it running.

Post a vidio and audio...

Dd23

· Registered
1,976 Posts
$1500 is about right for a 78 CB 400T in fair condition. They have an upright seating position that is comfortable for a mid line cruiser. The front pegs may be a little far forward depending on how tall you are. The motor if taken care of is all most bullet proof and is easy to work on . Parts are still available . With the weight to power ratio of the 400 the performance is about the same as a 1000 cc HD. Its not a crouch rocket but a decent ride .JMHO.

Bill H

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi "John",

Find that exact bike on CMSNL.com for the exploded views...

Post exact details so we know exactly which model it is.....

They all have "family faults" but need to know which model it is....

At least you have heard it running.

Post a vidio and audio...

Dd23
Thanks for the exploded views link.

The bike in question is a 1978 Hawk II with a Hawk I tank. I have not seen the bike in person yet, only messaged the seller. I may go and look at it this weekend, if I can decide between it and a CB350. The bike's paint is a little dull/worn, so I might try my hand at painting the tank/side covers.

$1500 is about right for a 78 CB 400T in fair condition. They have an upright seating position that is comfortable for a mid line cruiser. The front pegs may be a little far forward depending on how tall you are. The motor if taken care of is all most bullet proof and is easy to work on . Parts are still available . With the weight to power ratio of the 400 the performance is about the same as a 1000 cc HD. Its not a crouch rocket but a decent ride .JMHO.

Bill H
How do these handle compared to a CB350/360? Is one more lively than the other? This will mainly be a short distance commuter/joyrider.

· Registered
1,976 Posts
I was injured years ago and no longer ride. I just turned 80 and I closed my shop . About 4 years ago I did a frame off rebuild on a 78 CB 400 along with a major overhaul on the engine. The owner has about 30 bikes of different makes and he said the 400 is the smoothest bike he has ever ridden. It may be I am good or its a great bike .;) He and his daughter enjoy the 400 on short trips. He has road bikes but for a short trip they jump on the 400. He has 350s.Ca 77 , CB 77. CA 160 and a CA 95 along with others.

Bill H

1 - 5 of 5 Posts