1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
555 Posts
I saw that! I’m no stranger to buying things without titles, but I’m a little sketched out by the “Unk” VIN number...makes me wonder if it’s been scraped.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Washington state the unknown only means it didn't appear in the state VIN database. Either it was never registered in WA, the database only goes back so far or the wrong number was submitted to the DOT or SP. I would double check the number, an eye for a one can really mess it up during the State Patrol inspection. If it truly is not in the database then it is easier. You don't have to try to contact the prior owner.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know that part (my 450’s that exact case), but in the actual listing on CL where the seller can put in the VIN, he lists it as Unknown, which either means he was too lazy to go look or the plate and the etching have been removed. Who wants to call and find out? :D (I’m desperately trying not to call or else I’ll end up with a 4th...)

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I wouldn't call it "complete" unless he has a box of parts.

Reactions: Brent

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Damnit. I don't have any garage space left for a third bike.

In any case, what's all there is worth more than the asking price as is.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I texted the number yesterday when the ad was 38 minutes old. He hasn't responded yet, but with any luck I was first in line. I will let you guys know if I get any additional info from him. I was thinking this might be a good starter bike for my friend.

I will find out about the VIN info. I already asked him if it turns over and what, if any, work he has attempted on it over the years.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dad just picked it up yesterday. Here are some pics he got for me.

IMG_6274.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6276.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

Aside from the surface rust and corrosion on the aluminum parts, it looks like there is some corrosion on the tank, a line that dripped down from the Honda logo on the right side. There also looks like some rashing on the left side cover, although that may be dirt.

Dad said the rear tire wouldn't take air. I knew it wouldn't be rideable but I thought you might be able to roll the bike around on it.

I haven't taken the bike from him yet (will be getting it tonight). When i have it I'll throw in a battery and see if the electronics work.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I think if it has no major engine issues (crank bearing mostly) it's a steal... lots of stuff there to recover way more than your money on even if it won't be a runner that can be refurbed. The petcock is on, so be sure to check the oil for fuel contamination

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice score!

·
Registered
582 Posts
My dad said the tank was bone dry and full of rust. I'm hoping that that means it was drained before storage. Ideally I'd like to throw a battery and some gas in it and start it up ;)

the owner was a lady and she said it was her husband's, he died and left it behind. Thinking that could be the reason it got mothballed. Hoping it isn't something else.

Just noticed that the photos are sideways, sorry about that. If all goes well this will be the cheap twin I was looking for for my cheap friend.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
At least put fresh oil in it, turn it over a bunch to get the oil flow to the top end started before it fires up (hopefully), and try to keep the revs as low as possible for the first 2 minutes to avoid doing damage to the cam and followers... after sitting that long, it'll be almost as dry in the top end as the tank was inside

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks, I definitely will change the oil first, I was just kidding about starting it up right away. I will probably a do little bit of a leak down with some MM oil for the first night, check the lights and generally just look at it for a couple days. then put some fresh oil and maybe use an aux tank to try and start it. I learned a lot when working on my 175, in many cases learning what not to do.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I learned a lot when working on my 175, in many cases learning what not to do.
I know what you mean. I have learned recently how valuable this forum and its members are. I was given a scooter in boxes. Broke a valve and impaled in the piston. I haven't found a forum with a lot of information about it so it has been trial and error trying to get it back together, glad it has a "generic" engine, I was able to get it done, now I need to put the rest together. I feel so alone without a forum. :cry:

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
582 Posts
Luckily I never had to deal with anything that extreme. However I did learn some things that I did on the 175, I didn't really need to do, or at least not in the order I did. I think I could have had it running a lot sooner if I hadn't bogged myself down with other things. I also made some somewhat dire mistakes that were avoidable, like stripping screws. I'll be more careful on this one.

However, I'm hoping my friend will buy this from me, and I can just make him do all the work.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I took possession of the bike last night. Here's what I did:

Put in a battery and everything works except for the blinkers. I did not try the electric start.

Tank is the most rust I have ever seen in a tank... Shaking it sounds like a rainmaker toy.

Throttle was stuck so I pulled the air filters and looked into the venturi... It was very clean. Slides must just be stuck somehow. I checked and the cables move in between the cable housing and the carb. But they can't lift the throttle arm.

I dropped the bowls and they were pretty clean as well. They were obviously drained before storage.

It had the appropriate amount of somewhat-clean oil.

Only 3,100 miles!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts