Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its not a bomber,last on road 1981 and owner still searching for headlamp and switch.He spent 4 hours looking for the key and on arrival I immediatley found a spare in the left sidebox.Hope evereything else goes as well!! I think a rather good clean will do to start with whilst I think out the plan.Any comments welcome.Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice one Chris! Always fancied something like that to do up in the garage. Trouble is, they all cost the same to refurbish, not matter how big or small. Damned money pits the lot of 'em! :D I thought my little 250 would be the cheapest and quickest refurb but up to now, it couldn't be further from the truth.

Good luck mate!

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Congratulations Chris. I've long had a hankering for one of those old Dreams. Maybe someday......................

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whilst on the cleaning expedition I couldn't resist picking up a few spanners to find out where they used to put things so the first technical question is how did the mouse get in with the side panels on.Think I'll have to have a look underneath to get a better idea of design :D :D.Also didn't like the speedo stuck at 25mph so have repaired that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Chris, what model is it? 125 Benley tourer? The 150 is very similar. Looks very complete. Lovely little bikes to ride. A real head turner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That looks like it would be a lot of fun to ride... Think the mice have taken it out for a spin in hte last 30 years?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a honda C92 and I am told by the owner that in 1980 it came third in the Isle of Man TT honda owners club,Concour's de Elegance.It has done many laps of the TT course even though only a 125twin.Last rode in 1981 but I don't think it will be long before on road again.Seems too good to fully renovate so may just be tarted up a bit to pass MOT & ride.I'm no good at links but there is one on utube(Just type C92) being driven around a car park--I had a good grin & a smile whilst watching.Regards Chris.
P.S. No dead mice :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update from owner 14/4/2010 sure he won't mind me printing as I and possibly other may find interesting:-
The owner was invited to ride the c92 (and his then CB92 Benly Sports) at Brand Hatch and Donnington park in about 1980,he can date this in the future as he has the letter somewhere lol.
This was a honda 'promo' and also riding and doing demo laps at the same time as he did was the late Mike Hailwood MBE .He has found a photo of Mike on a six saying it was taken in 1980 but still has to link the photo to the demo laps he did.He goes on to say "I can't explain how good it was to be on track with Mike,a racing legend.I was mainly using my CB92 but I did pit and resume on C92.Somewhat a much slower lap by myself as still on vintage tyres as per current..He recalls @coppice corner at Donnington ,Mike flashing by and I saw a racers view of him,fantastic.He was also at Daytona race track Florida USA with Mike when he rode there in the later part of his life.
Before in late 1970's he recalls he was doing a motorcycle charity event in Leicester (UK) and Mike came along .He was a genuine,quiet nice guy just smoother and faster on racetrack than many and most.
SO THIS LITTLE BABY HAS BEEN ON THE TRACK WITH THE BEST.-TO BE CONTINUED....

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AND NOW THE COMPLETE STORY TO DATE:-
ADVERT-Advertised on the 9/5/1979-said unused for 11 years,rebuilt,Mileage 1900.Upon purchase prior to this time an old service invoice says C92 supplied on 7/8/78 to XXXXX .On another invoice says 2Xmufflers at £13.48 each 6Vbatt £8.30 top gasket £2.30 Bottom gasket £3.21
In 1981 1years road tax was £7.00
FRAME NUMBER -The frame number XXXXXX was assigned by the DVLA in a letter 26/9/78 with a rebuild reference XXX Thus the log book frame number is possibly not a honda frame number.
ENGINE NUMBER 125cc?-handwritten on the LVLO letter is a note saying 125cc Reg.no XXXXX 150cc Reg number XXXXX (Does this indicates it is possibly a 150cc)
Just to get more confusing there is a further letter Sept 1978 from the same LVLO .It states that this bike was purchased 18 months ago .It has a 150cc engine that was beyond repair.At the same time another incomplete motorcycle reg no XXXX chasis was beyond repair but its 125cc engine was in good order.Thus it was fitted to the 150cc C95,now as a C92 as 125cc.
DATE OF REG -1963 (We presume 150cc model)
OLD MOT-May 22 1981 Mileage 2532.
OLD TAX DISC -August 68 SAYS 150CC.
So thats the history logged but wish I had been with her in 1980 :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well managed to free the inner speedo cable after two days soaking vertically in WD40. My theory is it should have snapped whilst wheeling into garage so will have to look at drive,cable ends etc.I've snapped quite a few inner cables in the past just rotating front wheel to see if speedo works-not really the right thing to do on an unused motorcycle :D :D .
Worst thing so far cracked punctured worn out carb float (thought I'd got a spare but smaller float and pin diameter etc) and dead battery but modern day replacements still available .
Think this little baby warrents a few pence spent. Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just out of interest and as this motorcycle started life as a C95 150cc and now classed many years ago as a C92 125cc by DVLA if there were any differences other than engine cc.If so I'd be pleased to hear what they were?I can think of the first and that is tank badges were either 125 or 150,sure of that as there is one of each on the existing tank. :D Regards Chris.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I have the same problem..... Yours is looking QUITE nice!......... :D

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well most difficult job to date has been getting this little thing to breath life after 30 years being stood.Took me over 2 hours to finally get it to sound like a pregnant camel. :D :D New chain & battery obtained today so hopefully it will not be long before she breathes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts