Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had what I thought was a clutch problem. When crusing in fifth gear the clutch seemed to slip and the bang. I pulled the cluth cover and found a crack in the lower case where the kickstart stopper is. I now think the feeling I was getting was from the kick starter some how moving when the bike was in fifth and banging on the stop. Now I can get the bike in first but it won't click in second it will go in if you hold your foot up on the shifter. Is it worth trying a repair at this point?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to take the kick starter out and repair the gearshift selector does anybody know if you can leave the kick start shaft out?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Yes, you can remove the kickshaft and its associated parts, springs, and gears, and plug the hole where the seal is....You do have to split the main cases to achieve this, it may be easier just to remove the lever and let the shaft protrude......Personally, I'd remove it........

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
A good welder could fix that but you'll have to split the cases. If you don't want to repair the cases I've got an upper and lower case that I'll sell you for less that what it would probably cost to have those welded up.d

Send me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will pull it apart and see what I need for gear shift problem and I will let you know.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
On the 450's, the lower half main case is replacable.... (You don't need a "matched" set, they aren't "line bored".).... Any 5-speed bottom half should fit and work.....

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I assume you removed the kicker return spring for the pic.......But, without one there, the shaft can "bounce" and slam the stop..............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I split the cases this weekend and found something interesting. The shaft with the front sprocket was missing the bearing. All the gears liked good but the two middle ones on the shaft with the sprocket has a little wobble against the shaft all the others seem to be fine. The sprocket also seems to have a lot of wobble on the shaft. The middle shift fork has some strange wear on the sides that doesn't look right. It was getting late so I left it alone. I just need tofigure it all out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts