Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid, my dad had a gorgeous brown Honda 750. I can't be certain of specific model or anything; but while restoring my CM185 I've been thinking more and more about it.

Age revelation here: I was born in 1972 and started wondering how the Honda 750's were in 1972. If I could find one (big if) that I could afford (much larger if) I would love to start restoring it to fit my memory of a chromed out with a Brown (gold fleck?) tank that my dad had.

Comments?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The CB750K2 was a good machine. I had a K3 ('73) and I rode it hard, as it was the first 750 I had owned by then and I thoroughly enjoyed the horsepower over my previous 450s. The final drive of the 750 was well worked out by then (early ones had some issues and were improved) and the engine was great with any decent normal maintenance. Finding one that old in decent shape might be a challenge but you'd be happy with it. I think this is what you remember

View attachment 264304

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You can do this.
Join up at http://forums.sohc4.net Start reading asking questions and searching for answers, the collective wisdom is great, just like it is here.

You'll notice many members here are members there too. I was born in 71, I have a 73 750 that's a long term project, its all apart and packed up now but I'll get back to it as my sole project when the time is right. (Bought it in 2001 for $200)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, that tank looks familiar. I've gotta find out what year dads was, because I don't recall quad exhaust, but dang that looks nice.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
A k2 is going to be tough to find without paying up!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have owned two CB750s. The first one was a one year old 1977 CB750F. The second was a 1974 CB750 K4. Honda made a lot of changes to the bikes over the years. Most of these were product improvement and producibility. Not counting the sandcast, there are two mainly different engine configurations. CB750 built up to 1976 were very similar in performance. In 1977 Honda boosted the compression and increased the size of the valves. The later bikes were more free revving and had slightly more power. I remember the owner of the local Honda dealer telling me the 750 was the first Honda that would go down the freeway with the engine operating not much over idle power. He was right. They are great old motorcycles, there are a lot of them out there and well supported in the aftermarket. I would like to do an early (K1 or K2) restoration.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out my dad's was a 1977 750. The brown tank I remember was on his former 500, but the last one he owned was a 77 750.

Now I'm just going to think on this while I try to get my 185 rolling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts